1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - term one unsatisfactory progress made

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bhavikadhamelia, Apr 7, 2019.

1. bhavikadhamelia

bhavikadhamelia New commenter

https://www.tes.com/articles/newly-qualified-teacher-faqs

https://community.tes.com/threads/nqt-do-i-need-to-leave.787892/

Hi there,

I am an NQT currently completing my induction year, I have read through the NQT FAQs as above and also the thread linked above as I am in a similar position.

I did not make the satisfactory progress in term one and it did not look like I would be in term two either. I contacted my union and similar to what was mentioned in the above thread my school were happy to let me leave at the end of term two but with an interim report being submitted rather than a end of term assessment so I will still have two terms to complete.

I would be grateful for the some clarification on the following:

-I was under the impression that I can have a break and complete the remaining terms when I feel I am ready/have a secured a role at new school, this could be after having a break or just supply teaching.
    I was speaking to an RQT at my school who was asking if the terms need to be completed consecutively, however I was under the impression breaks are allowed?

-Also there is no limit in which the induction year has to be completed?

-NQTs can do supply work up to a maximum of 16 months, however when does supply work become work you can be assessed against, my union said this is once it is classed as long term, what is considered as short term supply and long term supply?

-And my final question, given I have not made the satisfactory progress in term one, how would you approach applying to your next school. I would imagine the next school would have access to the existing submitted assessments/reports through your teacher number? And who would you put as your reference, your headteacher/mentor from the first school?

Many thanks!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Yes, you can take a break and complete the NQT induction later.

I believe that you need to complete the NQT year within 5 years of graduating from the PGCE (your link above is way out of date!).

If you don't complete it in this time it just means you are not allowed to do day-to-day supply, but you can still complete it if you get a short-term role of at least one full term, or a fixed-term contract or similar, of at least one term.

It's meant to be the case that as soon as it becomes clear a role will last for at least a term then the induction should be offered. You cannot complete induction on day-to-day supply, unless in Wales, it must be at least one term.

Put your Head as referee. You could also use your mentor or HOD if you want. Once you get a role and the new school agrees to enrol you on induction they'll have access to the previous reports that have been logged with the LA.

I had this same situation. I was told my behaviour management was a problem. I applied for a maternity cover role at a lovely school - it had an odd start date, so not many people applied. In my covering letter I said I wanted to find a supportive school that would enable me to successfully complete induction, and at interview I was honest about behaviour management, and I reflected on what I would do differently next time. They offered me the job. My new mentor was amazing - she read the reports, and smelled a rat because she said even though she'd just met me she could see that the reports clearly did not reflect me. Good schools are not stupid - they know there are bad schools out there, or schools that are not a good fit. Anyway, I passed my induction at the new school, and the experience of working there restored my faith in humanity (no hyperbole!)

Good luck :)

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. bhavikadhamelia

Wow firstly thank you for such a prompt reply! And oh I didn't realise that page was way out of date (!)

I did google is there was a time limit, and it seemed like there wasn't a time limit in which the NQT had to be completed but ok you are saying it has to be completed in five years?

And ah right so if I was doing supply, the school would make the decision/indicate that the time spent working would be counting towards the induction year.

Is there a formality for references, ideally should it be the principal eventhough the mentor/HOD would know me better?

Also, unlike your situation, where it was more so the school you were at, I think for myself, the school was fine and supported me, but I just found the workload quite a bit and so have taken the first and second terms as something to reflect, learn and develop from.

I am already looking at jobs beginning at the start of the next academic year, would you say it is to soon to get into securing a new role or it is different for everyone?

Annd finally, in the application process which includes a letter of application, would you focus on why the role, the school and subject and anything regarding the terms one and two having been unsatisfactory be discussed in an interview and not mentioned really in the letter of application?

Many thanks again!

4. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

There is no longer any time limit for completing the NQT year. The restriction is about supply teaching; after five years any supply has to be long term, and count towards the NQT year.

In most cases that will in effect mean it is completed within six years. In some, like mine, the person concerned might take time out to work as a TA or something else before completing so it will take longer.

5. blueskydreaming

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../696428/Statutory_Induction_Guidance_2018.pdf --- see section 1.6 - seems like there is no longer a 5 year limit.

And section 2.15: 'It is not possible to backdate the start of an induction period if a short-term supply contract is extended beyond one term. However, an induction programme must be put in place immediately it becomes clear that the extended contract will continue for a further term or more.'

Schools expect a reference from your former Head, as a safeguarding measure. Of course they want more than one ref, so use your mentor or HOD as well.

It's up to you how long you wait before applying for jobs. But think about what you're going to say on the application - you say workload was a problem but you can't put that on your apps! What will you say instead?

What was 'unsatisfactory' in terms 1 and 2 at your school? How has supply work helped you to reflect and develop?

Only focus on positives in the cover letter - what you have done well, what you can offer the school, what they can offer you (e.g. training). If there's anything such as behaviour management, planning etc. that you need to work on then be honest at interview.

6. bhavikadhamelia

Ah ok cool, thank you for explaining that :)

7. blueskydreaming

8. bhavikadhamelia

Yes I spoke to my Head and he also said a suitable second referee would be my mentor/HOD, I think I will go with my mentor here.

Yes this is the dilemma I am having, as I have already seen some jobs for the new academic year and with the given situation it would be great if I could secure something for August next year and even more so as one is at a school I know I want to work at.

I feel if I mention that I did not make the progress in term one for any future applications I may not be considered at all, but then by not mentioning it and then mentioning it/it coming up at interview may be seen as myself not having been honest from the start and withholding information?

Can you give any advice/your opinion on how to go about applying and addressing the situation I am in, ie not having made the required progress in term one and looking to secure a new post.
    My union worker said I ought to mention it in the letter of application but try to put a positive on it and keep it short, as not mentioning it at all and then it being discussed/coming up may be perceived as not in the best of light.

You however have said only focus on the positives in the cover letter, so would you say to not mention that term one did not go well and that I still have two terms remaining in which I hope to be successful?

Any advice/opinions on this are welcome!
    Plus if there is anyone in a a similar situation, not having made the satisfactory progress and applying for new roles to complete the NQT year, how did you approach the application process?

Many thanks!

9. blueskydreaming

You need to be honest with yourself about your reasons for not making progress in terms 1 and 2 - you say it's the workload - what do you mean? Would you be able to make progress in different circumstances? What do you need in order to make progress? What support? How could a different school help you? What would you do differently next time?

When you apply for jobs it will be obvious from your application that there was a problem, because otherwise you would not have left during your NQT year. It's not uncommon for NQTs to move schools because the original school wasn't the right fit, or not supportive enough etc. Schools know this. Stating on your application that you are 'looking for a more supportive school / a better fit / whatever', so that you 'can successfully complete induction' is fine in my opinion. If you feel that a different set of circumstances would enable you to pass the induction, such as being in a school that is a better fit or more supportive, then you have not been dishonest in your letter of application.

When I was in your situation I said on my letter of application that I was looking for a supportive school where I would be able to complete my induction - this indicated there was a problem, and that I had not completed my induction. At interview they asked what I needed support with, and I replied behaviour management. They asked how many terms remaining, I replied two. When I started at the school, and my induction transferred from a different LA, my mentor saw the previous reports (or maybe I emailed her copies before that point... can't remember).

The key is to reflect. As I've said: what's the problem; what can they do to support you; what would you do differently next time etc. If a school has good, experienced mentors they could be happy to take you on; if they don't then you're better off not working there.