1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT- Teaching SEN children in class

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mobile2, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Dear everyone,
    I am a NQT, and will be teaching a year 3 class in Sept. I would be grateful if you guys could help me out. I have a child in my class with Downs syndrome, I would like to know regarding catering for his needs.
    I would specifically like to know if I am teaching place value in maths for example with my class, would the whole class's learning objective be the same for the child with downs syndrome? Or would I continue to build on his basic skills- ( he is still learning to count up to 20, and is not familiar with the the addition/subtraction sign, in Literacy he learns simple words such as was and the, visually).

All advice welcome, thanks to all.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It sounds as if he will have TA support. In Secondary, we would teach to the whole class and then have differentiated work for those unable to do the class work. In some cases they may be taken out of the class to work with the TA but this is usually when they are below Level 3. If he has a lot of TA support, you could plan with her so that you can show progress. Best to wait and see what his strengths and weaknesses are, and what support you'll have.