1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT teaching in a boys grammar school

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Kaz64, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hi, I have just started teaching in a boys grammar school but am still in my first year of teaching and am finding it difficult already.
    Would appreciate any tips about how to keep the boys interested and to stop any low level disruption which is constantly happening in my lessons.It doesn't help that I have 5 year 9 groups. I'm not sure how to deal with the silly comments and the talking when I talk etc. On the other hand, teaching the rooms of the house on my first lesson with them is not the most exciting topic. Any tips ? or websites other than MFL Sunderland or MFL Resources would be much appreciated. Have only been there a week so I don't want to despair yet.

Many thanks

Kaz

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Some possible tips for dealing with bright but cheeky boys:
    Laugh through it, don't let them see you are rattled.
    Make sure they know there is a consequence for their actions.
    Work on individuals rather than taking on the whole group.
    Speak to individuals after the lesson, looking for positives as well as negatives .
    Be assertive but not bitter!
    Do quite teacher-directed tasks until you have the control you seek
    Don't feel that lessons have to be "fun". They know they are there to work. If it's "fun" they might take it less seriously.
    They may enjoy quite traditional tasks like translation and dictation. Competitive games are good provided the control is there.
    Use your line manager for support if appropriate.
    The frenchteacher.net resources should fit your boys like a glove. they are written for grammar school kids.

3. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.