1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT teaching hours

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by surfblue33, Sep 10, 2019.

1. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

Hi, I have a rather unusual question.

Is it compulsory to teach 39 hours per fortnight to pass the NQT year?
    I currently fall below those hours but this reflects the timetable of other colleagues in my department who are also all on a fairly light timetable.
    My HOD is currently researching whether I should be put on more hours....perhaps take lessons of other colleagues. If this was to come through I could very well end up with far more teaching hours than my experienced colleagues.

I don't mind teaching my full requirement but I don't think it would be particularly fair if I ended up with more teaching hours than other well established colleagues in my department with a much bigger salary than mine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I being unreasonable?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You should have 10% reduction on teaching hours.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

This is the government advice on NQT induction. If it's not in there, it's not compulsory: https://assets.publishing.service.g.../696428/Statutory_Induction_Guidance_2018.pdf