1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT teacher - supply teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by stephw22, Jun 19, 2019.

1. stephw22

stephw22 New commenter

I have just finished my 3 years primary teacher training and am looking into my options for Spetember.
    I have been given a place on a Masters course, but due to how the time table works I am looking at doing some supply teaching to help keep myself in schools and earn some money.
    I dont know much about supply teaching so any information will be very helpful. Information such as
    What the interview will be like, questions asked, anything I should know or take with me?
    How supply teaching works, how much notice you get, do you have to work a specific amount of hours a week?
    How to plan lessons I could take in with me if needed, behaviour management techniques when just spending a day with a class?
    Thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

From your questions
    you really are innocent.

Generally no 'interview', you just supply your details and qualifications to a couple of agencies. More is better, if you want to actually get some work.

Regular work? Well it is very precarious and sometimes people may only be offered a couple of days a month- exam time in Sec for example. And remember that schools only operate 39 out of the 52 weeks, so even if you were to work every week possible, there's still no possible income during those other 13 weeks. In teaching at least and most people look at other sources of income during those periods. Holiday is supposed to be included in that pay , but as many people on here are on £80- £-120 a day, spreading those wages out over the holidays is challenging.

Have a quick look at some threads on this Supply forum and you'll see supply is not an easy option or a financially viable one unless you have a partner to pay bills.

You may be better offering tutoring to earn extra income or even in a different field entirely to fit around your study.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Since yoy are studying I am taking it thay you are planning on doing supply maybe two or at tbe most three days and will bot rely on it as your sole source of income.

Supply teaching is completely flexible so you tell the agency what days you can and cannot work.

Phone about twenty primaries (more if you can) and ask them which agencies in their view are the best and which ones the use. Once you get an idea of the best ones register with those. The agencies will tell you what to take when you register and tell you how to get a portable DBS.

As regards what to take..you will find that 99% of the time lessons will be left but there are threads on here that give advice on taking things you might need so search this site. You will neex to keep PE gear in your car. You can also keep extra bits you might need. A warm coat for duty is necessary as is lunch and thermos.

Regarding behaviour...be prepared for the best behaved classes you could ever ask for to the worst. Get to the school early and get the procedures for dealing with the behaviour if you need help, the stystems of warning and praise etc. In the better schools you will have a T A who will help.

There us a thread pinned to this forum for those new to supply and there are some tips on there for managing bwhaviour.

When you choose agencies to work through ensure you gat paid PAYE and get your daily rate in writing.

You can do day to day supply where the agency rings in the morning known as late calls or you can have prebooked work. It is entirely up to you on tbe days you work.

4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

For an NQT, supply teaching might be aversion therapy.

5. stephw22

stephw22 New commenter

Also, how does pay work.

The website of the agency I have an interview for says

"Pay is dependant on each assignment, your level of experience and location of the assignment. Your pay rate will be discussed in your registration interview."

What is the norm rate of pay? Just so I can discuss with confidence at my interview.

Thanks

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Pay various across the country and if you search the threads on the topic of supply teaching and pay, you might get a good idea of what people are getting.

You must remember that you are dealing with people at agencies who are out for one thing and that is to make a profit and some of the people you will negotiating with are wolves in sheeps clothing: they will smile and joke and pass the day with pleasantries, but beware the motive will always be money.

That is the first thing you must remember and consider - put yourself first.

The second thing you have to remember is that you are just starting out which means you do not have a track record and are an unknown at this point, so it would be realistic to take a slightly lower rate until you prove yourself and can negotiate for a higher rate.

Are you planning on doing only day to day supply because of your studies? Make that clear to the agency that you are only available for day to day supply if that is the case. Don't let them try to persuade you to take on long term assignments because of your other commitments.

So, let us get back to the daily rate dilemma.

The dilemma is two fold: supply teaching isn't particularly well paid anyway and you are just starting out so you have to fix on what is acceptable to you in the circumstances. Money will not be the only thing you are getting out of the deal as you will also be getting valuable experience. You are just finishing your training and it takes 10,000 hours to master an art, so you can put all that into context.

Do not just register with one agency but call around the schools to see who they use.

Do not let agencies try to persuade you to take Cover Supervisor roles as those roles will pay less.

So, with all that in mind, for day to day supply, I would say anything from £100-£120 per day might be the range you are looking at, but please note, I am not an expert. Later when schools start to ask you for repeat assignments you will be in a better position to negotiate for more.

What you could do is look through your local jobs online since agencies advertise on online boards sometimes and state their daily rate. Long term assignments with planning and marking will pay slightly more but in a lot of cases does not reflect the extra work you have to put in.

Please, keep your wits about you when dealing with agencies and I again strongly recommend that you take the time to ring as many schools as you can to find out who they use recommend since they will have had experience of which ones to use and which ones to avoid since the teachers they use will have probably given them feedback on those agencies.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If you can still set foot into your current school then get down to the staff room. The only occupants are supply teachers and if you can befriend them you have a very good idea of schools, agencies and rates offered.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  8. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Fellow travellers on the supply circuit are useful for sanity maintenance. It is a lonely and brutal old game

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.