1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT taking over Year 1 in Summer Term..any advice!?!?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gecollins, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I'm taking over a Year 1 class at the start of summer term and am feeling very los!. It is my first full-time teaching position so am suitably anxious as it is but feel as though I have a huge mountain to climb and don't know where or how to start! I am waiting to get hold of the planning and assessment files (hopefully the end of this week..fingers crossed). But any advice on general organisation of the class/ routines/ what they should be learning...anything really to give me a push in the right direction! Where do I start with the planning?! Is there even anything I can do until I get hold of the relevant information?

Thankyou!

2. Hi there,

I'm taking over a Year 1 class at the start of summer term and am feeling very los!. It is my first full-time teaching position so am suitably anxious as it is but feel as though I have a huge mountain to climb and don't know where or how to start! I am waiting to get hold of the planning and assessment files (hopefully the end of this week..fingers crossed). But any advice on general organisation of the class/ routines/ what they should be learning...anything really to give me a push in the right direction! Where do I start with the planning?! Is there even anything I can do until I get hold of the relevant information?

Thankyou!

3. General organisation and class rules- stick with what is already in place at least for the first few weeks. If this is a temporary role like maternity cover, then don't make major changes, otherwise, look at what is embedded, note any school wide requirements and start to adapt to your own ideas.
    Planning... Take a few days to see what they can do, a recount of their holiday / weekend will give you an idea of their level of writing, reading books are good for seeing where children are. Look through their books to see what has been covered and compare that with literacy and numeracy front sheets for an overview of what needs doing.
    Congratulations on your appointment.

4. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Year 1 are lovely - especially in the summer term when they can do quite a bit independently. I suggest that if at all possible you go in and spend a little bit of time in the class. Routines are really important to children at this age so it would be disruptive to change too much. Try and see what their current teacher does in terms of behaviour management and lesson organisation.
    Try and get some idea of their attainments - maybe their levels for maths and english - so you know where to pitch your planning.

5. Year 1 are lovely, I agree with everything said above. With regards literacy and maths, ask teacher about medium term plans - do they follow a scheme or national strategies etc. Basically ask what is left to cover.
    For Year 1s, I've split mine into 3 groups. TA works with one, I work with 2nd grouo and 3rd group do free writing/construction area/magnetic games/maths games etc. This might suit you the first 3 days to see where each group is. Do broad activities e.g. free writing etc. so they can show off what they can do.
    Same with Science - should be 2 units left to do - ask what these are. For topic I'm doing the whole summer term about the Olympics as there is loads of fantastic resources out there and currently being uploaded - this will involve art, pe, dance, geog and history.
    If you were also doing this, you could start gaining ideas.