1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT taking different role

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LJRS2019, Aug 11, 2019.

1. LJRS2019

LJRS2019 New commenter

Hello,

I have recently qualified as an NQT and have been unsuccessful at securing a position for September after a few interviews. From speaking to some in my cohort I am very lucky to have secured interviews at all. Anyway, there are a few leads that I am intending to peruse for after the October half term. However, a job has been advertised that has caught my eye. It is a role for the local council intended to support children who are in care to get the most of education. The job description states that I would be looking after a caseload of pupils and monitoring their attendance and supporting them to make informed choices about higher education/further education and encouraging high expectations within their current schooling. I have always been interested in the wider aspects of education including diverse socio-economic groups. And I have to admit I have been questioning whether classroom life is for me.

My question is... if I was to apply for a position related to the wider aspects of education but not necessarily within the classroom, then later on I wanted to take up a classroom position, would this go against me?

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Personally I would try to get the induction year done and dusted then look at other options. It just shows you've given teaching a good shot.

Keep applying and you might be able to get a position for after Christmas. Alternatively you could try supply?

Lucy2711 likes this.
  3. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

Have to agree with celago22. There's something about getting the first year done 'officially'. If you did apply for and get the support position you mentioned, then would you keep looking for a substantive teaching post?
    I can see how difficult it can be, but there's something about a full-time post as soon as you can in your career so you can really see how schools work and get to practise your newly developed teaching skills.