1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - taking a break?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by NedTB31, Mar 31, 2018.

1. NedTB31

NedTB31 New commenter

Hi, I’m in a bit of a state right now, not entirely sure what to do so any advice would be helpful.

I’ve completed two terms at my school, it hasn’t been easy due to lack of communication and constant changes to my timetable but I made it through. During last term I had some time of for IVF which was agreed to when I accepted the job. It was very stressful and I was often very sick but I pushed through it and only missed about 5 days (combined, few half days) throughout the entire term.

Unfortunately I left work a couple hours early on Thursday to go for a scan and the news wasn’t good. I have to wait another week for a rescan but I’ve been told to expect a miscarriage. I literally have no idea what to do. If I have to have surgery I’m going to need more time off and I’m not sure how I’d even manage going back in after this. Im supposed to have an external observation my first day back and I’ll have an entirely new class to teach.

I have so far been suffering through this year because I didn’t want my pgce to be a waste. As soon as I was finished I was planning on never teaching again but I needed the induction certificate as a back-up. I don’t know how it works to take a break either because my current notice period is half a term. Any advice on what my options might be at this stage would be greatly appreciated.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As you are so close to completing induction with just the short summer term left you really do need to consider your options carefully. I know many teachers still working who said that they would never teach again but circumstances and schools change.
    It is difficult to stop and induction without leaving a post. You could consider the option of part time teaching which would extend your remaining induction period pro rata. You could discuss a medical break with your doctors if they were prepared to sign you off. Your induction would then be paused with 2 terms banked and one to complete. The other option is to resign and complete your final term in another school.