1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Support

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anon2047, Jan 17, 2012.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Do not resign until you talk with your Union- if there are weaknesses in the induction in the school then these need to be addressed. In addition the Union will negotiate a reference, this is crucial for your teaching career

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Think very carefully before resigning. It will be a huge hurdle out of the way when you have completed the Spring term. You will then have a 2 week paid break and will return to what most agree is the easiest term.
    If you are Secondary, Yr10 will be going on Work PLacements for 2 weeks and Yr 11 will be on study leave from some time in May. That reduces your planning and marking commitments.
    Everything eases up from the start of July and then you have six weeks of paid holiday to look forward to.
    I'd seriously advise staying two terms, making you more employable as an NQT elsewhere with only one Induction term to be completed.
    I find that it helps to think in half-term chunks rather than a longer period of feeling 'trapped' at the school.
    Remember that, after you have been employed for 4 calendar months, you will have access to some paid sick leave if you need it (full pay for 25 days and half pay for 50 days. Just knowing that I could resort to time off, if things got too much when I was in a difficult NQT post (fixed term), meant that I didn't actually take any time off!
    Time absent from work in terms 1 and 2 of Induction will not delay the verdicts on those terms (unless off for most of the time!) but it will affect the length of your final term if the total time off reaches 30 days or more; the absent time then has to be served in addition to the 3rd term of work before the final Induction verdict can be made.
    By the way, the system for funding NQTs changed some hyears ago. Schools used to get £1k per NQT per school term (ring-fenced money) and the money was for funding the NQT's reduced timetable, the mentor time (of both mentors) and any courses that were deemed suitable. Courses have never been an entitlement and I never attended any by the time I'd completed Induction in 2003. I only had mentor sessions (2 brief ones) at the school where I undertook the final Induction term.
    The new funding arrangements are significantly different.
    Schools are allocated a fixed sum of money based ont he number of pupils at the school. The money is not ring-fenced and is simply part of their whole school budget.
    A school might get £9k per year, which funded 3 NQTs in the past but the school may have recruited 5 NQTs. Equally, they may not have any NQTs but still receive the money. What they gain one year (based on the old system) might subsidise another year when they have higher than average Induction costs.
    Courses are becoming rare for all teachers and schools often regard observing colleagues as more beneficial than having a day out of school on training that might not be very relevant to the issues you are experiencing.
    Schools are alocated a fixed amount of money