1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT supply and pregnant

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nicolaajyoung, Jul 26, 2018.

1. nicolaajyoung

nicolaajyoung New commenter

Hi,

So, I have just finished my PGCE (Finally) and have signed up with an agency to do supply work starting in September. However, about 2 weeks ago, I found out that I am pregnant. Towards the end of the PGCE, the university made it very clear that we can only carry out our NQT year once in order to achieve QTS. This worries me. My main worry is that my NQT year will not really be a year, as it will be supply, so I am not guaranteed the hours, and I am pregnant, so I will be taking time off work closer to the due date (the baby is due in March). Has anyone else found themselves in this situation before? and if so, have you still been able to achieve QTS with having breaks between? and do you have any advice for me before I start in September?

Any helps is REALLY appreciated!!

Stressed out/Pregnant NQT.

2. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Doing day to day supply will not give you any inductable service when it comes to completing your NQT year.

You need to be employed by a school for at least a term to begin your NQT year.

Were you to be in a position to be completing NQT induction, I'm assuming (although not certain!) that your NQT year will be paused by your maternity leave, to resume when you return to work.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You can only do your NQT year once, but it doesn't need to be next year.

If I were you I would do day to day supply for as long as possible and then start induction when you want to return to work after the baby is of an age you want to leave them. Even if you decide to start a part time post, you can still do induction, but it may take longer.

If you happen to get a post for September, then you could complete and 'bank' the first term of induction and complete the other two terms later.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Don’t worry too much if you decide to take time off with your baby. My school employed a teacher who had three children so had not taught since finishing her PGCE. Initially she did some voluntary work experience with us, then supply work, then applied for a role and was taken on as an NQT. Not an ideal career path, maybe, but it can be done.

agathamorse and sabrinakat like this.
  5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

As others have said, you don't need to do your NQT year immediately after completing your PGCE. Day to day supply will not count towards it - long term supply might, so long as it is at least a term and the paperwork etc is done when you start. You also do not need to complete it at the same school - you can do it at two or three (or, if you have real problems, more than that!).

As far as supply goes you will be allowed to do day to day supply for five years - after that any supply needs to be long term and count towards your NQT year.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Have you considered delaying your NQT year until you have given birth and are ready to work

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I think, with our teacher, there was something about the five years being extended in exceptional circumstances. Her exceptional circumstances were that she gave birth to three children in that time. If I remember correctly, HR felt that there could be a case for discrimination if the reason was not accepted.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Ignore my first comment, posted the comment in error.

Have you considered delaying your NQT year until after you have given birth and are ready to return to work?
    Your priorities right now are those of yourself and your baby, you’ve got to look after yourself and as you’ll be going on maternity leave before the end of the upcoming academic year, you wouldn’t complete it.
    Have you considered an admin / cover supervisor role until you actually go on maternity leave? You’ll have job security and you’ll be guaranteed a salary, alias with agency / supply teaching you will not. Just my thoughts.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Just wondering, is that your real name and photo? If so, do you not mind your agency, potential employers etc..( the whole wide world in fact) .reading your threads.

If so, you may want to set up a different ID.

10. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

To change your username, email help@tes.com from the email address registered on the TES site, quoting your preferred new username (no spaces or symbols).

11. install

install Star commenter

Congratulations! Putting your baby's health and your's will be your main priority now.

Getting nqt status may prove difficult whilst on Supply. And more so if you are not in one school for a long stint of time. I have mentored teachers in the past to get their nqt status and recall one who had a term under their belt from another school and needed to complete it. Luckily, we offered too to help them as they were a really good ling term.supply - but didn't have to. In all it stretched over 2 yrs due to unforseen circumstances.

The rules may have changed since though - so.do check ;)

12. sweetness_sweetness

sweetness_sweetness New commenter

Just wanted to say I agree with everyone else and CONGRATULATIONS! Such wonderful news and I hope you have as stressfree and enjoyable pregnancy as possible