1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT supply and pregnant...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by nicolaajyoung, Jul 26, 2018.

1. nicolaajyoung

nicolaajyoung New commenter

Hi,

So, I have just finished my PGCE (Finally) and have signed up with an agency to do supply work starting in September. However, about 2 weeks ago, I found out that I am pregnant. Towards the end of the PGCE, the university made it very clear that we can only carry out our NQT year once in order to achieve QTS. This worries me. My main worry is that my NQT year will not really be a year, as it will be supply, so I am not guaranteed the hours, and I am pregnant, so I will be taking time off work closer to the due date (the baby is due in March). Has anyone else found themselves in this situation before? and if so, have you still been able to achieve QTS with having breaks between? and do you have any advice for me before I start in September?

Any helps is REALLY appreciated!!

Stressed out/Pregnant NQT.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Firstly, change your profile pic and name. You don't want to be identified when you're putting personal info on here.

Secondly, you seem unclear about QTS and the NQT year. To clarify: you are generally awarded QTS from your university - it has nothing to do with completing your NQT year, it is part of your teaching qualification and you cannot lose it once you've achieved it. Your PGCE certificate from uni will state 'Secondary PGCE with QTS' for example. There are some providers that don't give QTS, but you can't have done one of those courses or you wouldn't be talking about NQT induction??

The NQT induction is what you do to show that you are capable of being a teacher in the semi-real world (i.e. reduced support, but still some support); you need to complete it in order to be allowed to teach in a state school in England, although non-state schools also want you to do it.

You can only start the NQT year if you're going to be doing supply at one school for at least one entire term; then once that term is completed it's banked, and you can repeat this for terms two and three. You cannot complete induction if you're doing odd hours here and there. The whole point of the NQT induction is that you're showing you can meet the 9 teacher standards over time, i.e. you are planing lessons for the same classes over a term, using assessment to inform your planning, differentiating for the students as you get to know them and their strengths/weaknesses, etc.

If you miss more than 35 days of work during the NQT year (if full time) then your NQT year would have to be extended by the amount of time missed. I guess this might be calculated pro rata if you're only doing 1 or 2 terms on long-term supply. If you miss too many days the school simply cannot assess you and state that you are meeting the teacher standards.

You can spend up to 5 years doing day-to-day supply without completing the NQT year. After that you can still do supply but it must count towards the NQT year, i.e. it must be at least 1 term per assignment.

I completed my NQT year across 2 schools in 2 different LAs. It's not a problem, if you're in a supportive school.

It's illegal to discriminate against pregnant women, but this won't stop some people. If I were you I would advise the agency, once you've passed 12 weeks, as risk assessments may need to be done by the school, depending on your subject, situation etc.

peter12171 and nicolaajyoung like this.
  3. nicolaajyoung

nicolaajyoung New commenter

Thanks for your response. That has made me feel a lot better about the whole situation.
    I have contacted EWC (as I'm working within Wales), and they have been able to reassure me that there is not a problem and that my induction period can easily be extended as needed.
    thanks again

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You'll be fine. Enjoy being pregnant and worry about the NQT year later. Any supply you do between September and baby's arrival will be useful for your development as a teacher, even if it doesn't count towards induction.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

In Wales supply work can count towards the induction period do check with the EWC for advice on how this operates
    And Congratulations on your news!