1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Subject co-ordination

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by teachtrevor, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hello,
    When I began my NQT I was informed I would be Geography co-ordinator (2.5 form entry school). It's a big job - I have no idea what I should be doing! I have asked my mentor for some help and she rather fobbed me off. I'm not even sure as an NQT I should have been asked to do this?! Is anyone else a subject co-ordinator during there NQT year?

2. Hello,
    When I began my NQT I was informed I would be Geography co-ordinator (2.5 form entry school). It's a big job - I have no idea what I should be doing! I have asked my mentor for some help and she rather fobbed me off. I'm not even sure as an NQT I should have been asked to do this?! Is anyone else a subject co-ordinator during there NQT year?

3. As a NQT you should not be asked to take on extra responsibility, if yuou are and agree, then the school must provide adequate support to enable you to pass induction and do the role you have been asked to complete. Induction is very important, failing induction is very serious. In some instances schools mux the 'extra' post with induction and if NQTs struggle with the 'extra' job on top of their teaching the school has been known to try and claim that the NQT is not progressing or is failing to meet induction standards. The school must clearly separate the two roles and in some instances that is hard to d. I suspect that you are in primary??Your mentor should be helpful in this matter and not fob you off. You need to explain to the mentor that you are unbcomfortable being given this role when ion the NQT year your priority is to meet the induction standards. Explain that failing to meet the standards will impact very severely on your career, possibly even end it before it begins, which is why the legal statutory guidance states that NQTs should not be given extra responsibilities andless there is adequate support. See where it goes from there.
    james