1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT struggling with behaviour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jusetters1994, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jusetters1994

jusetters1994 New commenter

Hi, I'm an nqt and struggling with some low level behaviour in my classroom, calling out, children moaning at each other. There is high expectations in my school so it needs to stop as is effecting my grade when being observed.
    Can anyone give me any tips?
    Thank you

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What do you currently do to tackle the low level disruption?

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Do you have a whole school behaviour policy? If so, read it. Are you implementing it? If not, you need to.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do they call out answers, or call out random comments to each other?
    Use lolly stick names or some such to prevent calling out answers.
    If they call out comments, then remind them they have disrupted learning and apply an appropriate sanction. (I have a year 8 who reminded me the other day that I gave him a minus point last term for sneezing. The fact he managed to stop every single child working with his over acted, fell off his chair sneeze seems to have escaped his memory!)
    For the moaning, you need to tackle why that is.

5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

You need to be totally and utterly ruthless. Think 'dog with a bone'. You'll benefit in the long run.

6. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

I have spoken to TA's who say take this approach, but the teachers do not like it.

7. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I am a student having similar problems so watching your thread with interest hope this is ok!

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

You have to spend two or three weeks being really hot on such behaviour. As others have said, follow the behaviour policy to the letter, every single time, for a fortnight. Remember to praise (and reward if there is a reward system in place) pupils who do as they are told. It will take a while of you feeling as though you're perhaps not getting much teaching done, but in the long run you will reap the benefits.