1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT: Stay in Scotland or go abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sm1379, Jul 26, 2019.

1. sm1379

sm1379 New commenter

Hello,
    I was hoping to hear from any recently qualified teachers who have moved abroad after their probation year.

I am just about to start my primary probation year in Scotland, but am thinking about teaching elsewhere (Europe or the Americas) after I am fully qualified. I am also doing a part-time masters in primary science education this year to make myself more attractive to employers. I have taught as a language assistant and as a university English teacher (both in France) so I have some experience of working in another education system. I also have a TEFL qualification and an Irish passport as well as a British one.

Any thoughts? I would consider switching to private schools, but I am not sure if I would have many options, having not taught IB/ theEnglish curriculum...

2. PhuMyHung

PhuMyHung New commenter

I'm also a Scottish teacher about to enter my probation year with plans to head abroad once it's finished. Having taught TEFL in Asia, I'm keen to go back.

There's a lot of threads on here in which this topic is discussed at length - they are easily found via the search tool. What I've gleaned from the advice is that, with a PGDE and one year's experience, it is possible to get a job at one of the "third tier" international schools where pay and conditions are not as high as at other schools. You will need more years of experience to get into a "top tier" school. However, this advice may pertain more to Asian international schools. I've heard that Europe is even more competitive.

From what I've been told, the best thing to do is to stay in Scotland for 2 years after your PGDE as that is the minimum requirement for the top schools. Although I will be applying for international school jobs when the recruitment season begins again...

576 likes this.
  3. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

I moved abroad after completing my probation year and found it quite easy to secure a job. It could probably have been described as a second-tier school in a less desirable country (in the Middle East). Whether moving abroad after only one year of experience is the best idea depends, in my opinion, on what the alternative is. For me, it was go abroad or do supply work, as there were very few permanent jobs at that time. So it was an easy decision.

If you do go for it, it is extremely likely you will be teaching in English or IB curriculum. And while employers might generally prefer someone with experience of one of these, it definitely won't rule you out.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear sm1379, over the years one or two people have sent me a TES Conversation thing and I try my best to help and advise, if I possibly can. Anyway, I have sent you one of these, so now you need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen. This avatar thing is supposed to show your picture. You seem to be completely blue, but please do not be discouraged by this as PhuMyHung also seems to be blue as well. (My avatar shows me in the bath, having a chat with my wife.)