1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT starting tomorrow- foundation

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hjlewis350, May 13, 2012.

1. So i am starting in my first post tomorrow in foundation and am looking forward to it, However, due to supply etc my class do not have the best behavior. It is a boy heavy class, 16 boys and 7 girls and they are very restless on the carpet, disruptive and not good at things such as lining up. If anyone has any experience or ideas would be greatly received. I am going to go in firm and lay out my expectations, reward children with their treasure jars etc and get the TAs to assist in pulling up those who continue to misbehave.

2. So i am starting in my first post tomorrow in foundation and am looking forward to it, However, due to supply etc my class do not have the best behavior. It is a boy heavy class, 16 boys and 7 girls and they are very restless on the carpet, disruptive and not good at things such as lining up. If anyone has any experience or ideas would be greatly received. I am going to go in firm and lay out my expectations, reward children with their treasure jars etc and get the TAs to assist in pulling up those who continue to misbehave.

3. Sounds like you've got it sussed. Have the highest expectations . .. they'll surprise you. Don't let, 'They're only little' creep into it. Nonsense. Hammer what you want them to do for a few weeks and practise it like giddy -o. If it's lining up, have them practise lining up at every available opportunity. Keep the carpet time short at first so they have a manageable target and build it up day by day. Have treats and praise galore ready, and stand for no nonsense for those that aren't playing from the get go. 4 and 5 year olds on the whole want to please you, they'll get it sussed and you'll have them sorted for their year one teacher! Good luck. XX