1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT starting supply teaching

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by chocolateheaven4, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi, i wondered if anyone had any advice or if anyone has been in the same situation as me?
    I qualified in July from a 4 year primary teaching course and live in the North East where it seems apparent that it has been extremely difficult to find a job with the main feedback from interviews being that they wanted someone more experienced.
    I signed on with a supply agency to begin in September and never recieved any calls other than to be put forward for long term positions. I decided to sign on with a new agency which seem more promising and closer to home.
    However i'm now becomming more nervous as to what to expect as i have been out of the setting for so long. What happens if i don't understand the work that the teacher has set to teach it suitably? I have a file of worksheets and lesson ideas prepared but just don't know what to expect when i get that first phone call to be there in an hour?!
    Any advice would be grately appreciated. :)

2. Hi, i wondered if anyone had any advice or if anyone has been in the same situation as me?
    I qualified in July from a 4 year primary teaching course and live in the North East where it seems apparent that it has been extremely difficult to find a job with the main feedback from interviews being that they wanted someone more experienced.
    I signed on with a supply agency to begin in September and never recieved any calls other than to be put forward for long term positions. I decided to sign on with a new agency which seem more promising and closer to home.
    However i'm now becomming more nervous as to what to expect as i have been out of the setting for so long. What happens if i don't understand the work that the teacher has set to teach it suitably? I have a file of worksheets and lesson ideas prepared but just don't know what to expect when i get that first phone call to be there in an hour?!
    Any advice would be grately appreciated. :)

3. Hi
    I'm in the North East too and finding it really difficult to get a job! There are none!
    I qualified in June and been doing supply since September. I'm with 4 agencies and still not getting as much work as I'd like. One school keep asking for me back so I've been there 1 or 2 days a week but that agency isnt giving me any other work at all. And apart from that I'm getting approx 1 emergency call a week from the other agencies put together!
    But honestly, supply is great! I was so nervous too, but it has the best bits of teaching without the marking, meetings and planning. I wouldn't worry about not understanding the work, when I've been into a school, the receptionist usually shows you around and introduces you to a staff meember who goes through the work with you. To be honest, most supply teachers I've spoken to say that you don't really teach, its just behaviour management! And I agree. As long as you go through the work as best as you can, and mark it, they can't complain.
    Emergency calls aren't that bad either. I usually make a packed lunch the night before, take my agency stuff (ID, CRB, letter from agency, timesheets, lesson feedback form), pens, a couple of lesson idea books (got them from amazon) and my Sat Nav (the most essential of all!). I guess its just being organised- making sure I dont need to wash my hair that morning, or that my petrol isn't low etc. But so far, I haven't had to teach any of my own lessons yet, the plans have always been there or if not, a teacher has given me ideas of what the children are learning and what I could perhaps teach. I find the greatest help is just knowing time fillers when you have that 10mins before assembly free or finished a task early and its not quite home-time. So maybe learn a few games and I often read a book.
    Also, have you checked the pay with the agencies you're with? Because within the 4 agencies I'm with, the pay varies by £20! Some offer £85 a day and one offers £105 for an NQT which is great. So maybe have a look around and get paid the most you can!
    Good luck and don't worry! I was the same and honestly I really like it! :)

4. Thank you soooo much for your reply. Its made me feel much better! :)
    Yes my pay differs too, £85 for one agency that i'm with and £105 for my other. However i've just been told that because i had no work with one agency for 3months that i now need a new CRB so have to pay for another one. I just hope that i get work with the new agency i'm with.
    I have been getting up at 7:30 every morning and ready by 8 just waiting to put my clothes on. I always have a cuppa pasta or soup in the cupboard so i can just grab one and go.
    Think i need to search for another agency too as its so bad in Northumberland at the min! I'm just lucky that i have a flexible part time job that i can go to at the weekend and on a night time when that phone call doesn't come through the day!
    Thanks again! x

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

keep all receipts for CRBs and claim tax relief on the fees from your tax office.
    Don't just wait for a call. Call them at just after 7.30 to say that you are up and ready to go. If they then get a call from a school, they'll know that you can take it and won't waste time phoning someone else, who might be asleep or already out with a booking from elsewhere.
    You can also call them between 2.30-5 pm on school days as they should be getting calls from schools in the afternoon, after teachers have rung their Heads to inform that that they will not be back the next day.

6. I never knew that you could claim tax relief, that's great thanks!

I think I will start ringing them from next week too. Before Christmas I was having major confidence and motivational issues from each knock back for permanent positions which had supposedly went really good in all feedback given so I was even more nervous for going to supply teaching.

Thanks for your advice! x

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Union subs (or part of them if they include a political levy) and GTC fee is also eligile for tax relief.

8. If you have lots of spare time without any sign of work, invest a little time at local school. Offer to help in any way, and most heads would bite your hand off. A qualified, CRB checked teacher for free! (some might want to do a new CRB but it is free to do for a volunteer.) Even if you tell them that if you get last minute supply you will have to take that. They will understand.
    It will mean that your skills are kept up, you will learn a lot about different schools, you will remember what you love about teaching, and you can make a small difference to some children's lives. If you are any good at all, you will get some work from them eventually - or another local school. I worked in three schools (half day each), got supply in two of them, and linked up with a long term supply post in a fourth thro one of the heads.
    It will also stop you going nuts, watching daytime tv, and spending too much money on ebay. [​IMG]

SP

9. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hey,Im in a similar position to you

I am an NQT who chose to supply for a various amount of reasons. Do not worry about not understanding the work set! Ive been thrown into various schools and situations and coped fine. Often teachers understand your situation of being new to everything and will either leave detailed plans and the worksheets needed or a more roughly sketched outline on a piece of paper for a more relaxed day. Also, teaching assistants are there to help most of the time, and if they do leave you on your own then you'll have more freedom anyway.

Some agencies are rubbish, I should join one that you found by word of mouth. I am with Teaching Personnel and I usually get 2-3 days a week (Primary) which is pretty good.

Come and join us over on the Supply forum :)