1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Starting Sept 2011 - Advice on Pie Corbett talk for writing.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ed10k2h, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    Thankfully completed my PGCE and got a Year 2 position whoo! Have to say though totally stressing out because don't really know how much planning to do etc. The head told me that I need to plan literacy using talk for writing but I've never used this and despite my best efforts at trying to understand the information on line I'm totally stumped! To make it worse the year 2 teacher has left and told me that they didn't have training on it. Does anyone have any planning that I could at least look at for an idea of what to do. Suggestions will be very much appreciated!!!!!!

2. Hi Everyone,
    Thankfully completed my PGCE and got a Year 2 position whoo! Have to say though totally stressing out because don't really know how much planning to do etc. The head told me that I need to plan literacy using talk for writing but I've never used this and despite my best efforts at trying to understand the information on line I'm totally stumped! To make it worse the year 2 teacher has left and told me that they didn't have training on it. Does anyone have any planning that I could at least look at for an idea of what to do. Suggestions will be very much appreciated!!!!!!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Msz

5. Hi
    Just to let you know there is a thread on this topic on the Early Years Forum.
    Subso found this excellent website.
    www.oldfieldparkinfants.co.uk/storymaking.htm
    Good Luck with your NQT Year.
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post"></td></tr></table>

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Excellent thread, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had an email conversation today with my partner year 2 teacher. (I will be new to year 2, but she won't be.) We would love to use talk for writing because what we know about it is excellent and suits us. However we actually know very little.

Thank you so much for starting this thread...hopefully you will get lots and lots of responses and lots of information!

7. Take a look ar his Jump Start books. They are written with keystage 2 in mind but there are lots of ideas that you can adapt. I've used Talk for Writing for a few years now and it's more of a teaching ethos than anything else.

8. Msz

9. Have you read the information on strategies website? http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/search/primary/results/nav:49769

That should help.

I had training on this in my NQT year and it really helped with planning. My understanding is that the children learn a complete story or non-fiction text off by heart using actions, story mapping, story boards, talk partners etc to help them retell it. When they have learnt this model text (that contains language/grammar etc appropriate to level) they have a template from which to write their own version with changes. So a unit might be week 1 learn story, week 2 shared writing of class story with changes eg character or setting changes, week 3 plan and write own story using template. I found the children were much better than me at learning surprisingly long stories!

I've done this successfully using 2 Anthony Browne books, Into the Woods and The Tunnel. Also in non-chron reports on dragons. Have a look at the dragonology books. Also unicorns/monsters etc.

The teach primary magazine seems to have often have articles by Pie Corbett giving a model story and examples of how to use it in class.

I would also suggest buying this book, it really helped me! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Story-Writing-Writers-Workshop/dp/1853469165/ref=pd_sim_b_1 THink there is a non-fiction one too!

Hope this helps you!