1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT starting 2017 shopping list and tips

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cathyafonso95, Jun 20, 2017.

1. cathyafonso95

cathyafonso95 New commenter

Hi all,

I am going to be graduating this year and will starting my teaching job in September. I wanted to ask the teaching community what resources/things in general you think I should buy or make/where it is best to buy them and any useful tips pre-teaching?

Thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It is all too easy to get carried away buying and money will be tight at first. So . .

Wait until you've seen your available resources at your new school / class.

Look at gathering together a 'basic mix'n'match wardrobe. Stain resistant, or multi-coloured so it doesn't show paint/ glue etc if Primary and trousers if you're teaching lower down the school for sitting on the floor.

Anything else can wait a while.

pepper5 and Landofla like this.
  3. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Look on Pinterest for some fantastic ideas!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Don't get into the game of buying resources that you need to teach with. The school provides these. If EYFS ensure you know how to get consumables such as shaving foam, play dough making ingredients...

If you always sub your school then no one will ever understand that school funding is not sufficient.

Oh, congratulations on your new job! :D

MsNiChearuil, pepper5, hammie and 2 others like this.
  5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

You will hopefully be able to go into school to arrange your classroom over the summer holiday. You can get backing paper, borders and some displays prepared and on the wall for your topic etc. Backing paper etc. should be available at your school.
    Find out how you can get the children's books ready - do you need to collect sets of them from a store room? Will your TA organise labels for the books or do the children write their names on them? Do trays need labelling? Pegs? Will the children personalise these?
    What book will you be reading to them? Read it yourself over the holidays so you are thoroughly familiar with it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. xxcatxx

xxcatxx New commenter

I have an account on ****** which has some FANTASTIC resources and lessons plans to give ideas. It's £70 for the year but maybe you can find an NQT to split it with you or maybe your new team :)

pepper5 and Landofla like this.
  7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

you should not be buying any resources for children to use. You might want to buy bits and pieces for yourself of course. Bear in mind that there is invariably a heat wave as soon as September term starts so get some work clothes that will be ok in an overheated and under ventilated classroom. Don't buy a diary, your school will give you one. Do make sure you have signed for a union before the start of term. No need to buy folders and files, there will be a store full of old unused one somewhere. If things need laminating, the school will have a lamina tor and film.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if you want more comments, do say which age group/subject etc you will be teaching, the resource requirements are very different!

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Do not buy anything out of your own money as the Government collects millions of pounds in taxes to fund schools. You should be supplied with everything you need.

All that money you would spend on supplies, you can tuck away for a rainy day emergency fund.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. MsNiChearuil

MsNiChearuil New commenter

For my personal use I always liked a set of multi-coloured felt-nib writing pens, a pack of good quality medium-width markers, a permanent black marker and once I knew they were compatible with my school's marking scheme, stampers (ones with things like "peer reviewed" or "verbal feedback given" were very handy). Also a basic starter stationary pack from any Wilko/Tiger etc will cover your desk, a good stapler and a sellotape dispenser (in a distinctive colour, with my name indelibly on them). These are absolutely not requirements but A-gave me a sense of ownership over my space and B-meant I wasn't battling with crappy staplers/hole punches for the year. DO NOT GO MAD, it is not your responsibility to jazz up your classroom with succulents/posters etc out of your own pocket. Pinterest is full of misguided people wrecking it for the rest of the teachers in their school by treating their class like their apartment. Spend your hard-earned cash on yourself!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.