1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT start date

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by darrylwestell, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I am due to finish my GTP in June, and have been offered a job at another school for September.
    I am worried though, my GTP ends on the 29th June, my new contract starts on 31st August, and I've asked my new school to consider a summer start date for me, but how usual is if for this to be accommodated?
    Thanks in advance

2. I am due to finish my GTP in June, and have been offered a job at another school for September.
    I am worried though, my GTP ends on the 29th June, my new contract starts on 31st August, and I've asked my new school to consider a summer start date for me, but how usual is if for this to be accommodated?
    Thanks in advance

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Do check your contract. Most teaching contracts run in line with the academic year running from September to August so those leaving in summer term are paid through until the end of August. That said Academies and schools who do not follow school teachers pay & conditions have variations.

4. Whether or not you can start a new post and be paid over the summer will depend on your current contract of employment (as you are a GTP you are an employee) and its end date. If the end date is in line with other teaching staff i.e. 31st August then you would get paid for august and you can then start your new post effectiuve from 1st September. What you cannot do is be paid by two schools at the same time for what is effectively full time work.Your QTS should come through in August meaning you start the new post on the qualifued scale.
    The Sage