1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT start date September?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Kidders, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Hi i have managed to secure a job, but have been told my start date will be in September, however I will need to go in for a few days/ weeks to get familiar with the department and plan my SOW/ lessons for september over the summer. Am i supposed to do this without being paid? Even though it is work clearly for the school and will also require me spending some time working over there. Unfortunately as my PGCE course ends in June my bursary will also stop and I;ll need to find a full-time job to afford my rent and now starting to worry that it won't give me enough time to plan everything for september if I'm working all summer.

Anything I can do?

2. The school is being a little 'demanding' to say the least. If you start the job in September then realistically you should start the job then. OK we all like to get ahead and will start prep before Septemnber butnto demand this is wrong.
    I would go back to the school and state that due to financial circumstances you have no option but to work over the summer so opportunities for preparation will be limited, howvere, if the school is able to provide some opportunities for paid induction then you would happily reduce your summer employment to work on preparing for the school.
    If the school 'require' work then they must pay for such work, they cannot demand 'free' work from you.
    James

3. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Thank you for clarifying! How much constitutes doing 'work' for them? I mean how much should i be expected / anticipate doing 'for free'? And where would asking for some compensation be acceptable? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot!

Thanks

4. I think that as a general rule of thumb, if they require you to be on the school premises for any work related activity then that should be on a paid basis. If you are in comntrol of what you do and when then that could be seen as voluntary.
    James