1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Situation January 2012

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by iwanevans1, Nov 10, 2011.

1. I have just completed my secondary PGCE and am available to take-up an NQT position starting in January. However, the job market is tough at the moment. How would taking up agency work effect my chances of securing an NQT position in September? I'm concious of the fact that having finished my PGCE in December I'll have been away from the classroom for a while by the time September comes around. I have the opportunity for 2 terms cover with an agency but am unsure of the cosquences in terms of my NQT etc. If I applied for jobs for next September how would this be viewed by prospective schools, would they lean towards a fresh NQT as opposed to me. I really don't want to work for an agency long-term but it would give me more experience etc ahead of next year and some income.

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I certainly would say that if you are being offered 2 terms cover - take it! This will much better on your applications for permanent positions than no work at all. As you will not have completed your NQT year by next Sept. you will cost the same to hire as an NQT straight out of college but you will have the advantage of more experience. Go for it!

3. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Having completed mine in June, and still applying for jobs, i'd say take whatever you can and good luck!

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

A couple of people have mentioned being cheap cos you're an NQT but I'm not sure that's true....
    I thought if you worked over 26 weeks (incl holidays and sick days) in an academic year, you moved up the pay scale. If the OP does 2 terms that's well over the 26 weeks, so they'll be on M2 next year even though still an NQT? This happened to my friend as she started her NQT year "late" so to speak. So she was paid M2 but was an NQT for 1 term. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding of the situation?
    If you work through an agency, not direc through the LA I guess it's probably different.

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

You are right, she would go up the main scale, however, not until she has completed 3 full terms, therefore, to hire initially she would cost the same as an NQT albeit for one term.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Sorry but she would go up to M2 after working for 26 weeks NOT after 3 terms so would be on M2 from September onwards UNLESS her initial contract was for less than 26 weeks ( say if it was a maternity contract with an end date prior to the beginning of the summer holidays)

7. Just to clear up a few things here.
    1. If you have teaching work that lasts at least a term in length then by law - regardless if it is a cover post or not, you must be placed on induction and you must be given the fuill induction package and that includes reduced timetable and mentor support. Two terms wouyld be two induction terms complete.
    2. Your rise up the pay scale in a state maintained school is not affected by the fact that induction may not be complete. If you work at least 26 seperate weeks (part or full time) then you progress up the pay scale automatically.
    James

8. I was actually thinking of M2... It's still pretty cheap![​IMG]

9. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

And there are still some jobs out there. I've got a couple of primary posts I still need to fill for January, for example. So other areas might have jobs, too, particularly around London. Worth keeping your eyes open.