1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - should I wait another ywar before working overseas?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by harrypatch, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am growing despondent with my lack of success in applications for overseas posts.
    I have one year's experience as probationer in the Scottish system - I am beginning to think this not enough...
    Should I wait another year and try and gain siome more UK experiecne, or should I follow my dream and continue applying to international schools?

2. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

On one hand I would say continue applying; I was able to find work straight away overseas even as an unqualified teacher, so it shouldn't be impossible for you even if it takes longer.

On the other hand, you may find the lack of support you receive overseas difficult to cope with, so it may be worth staying for another year to build up more experience with the appropriate support before trying again, which will not only make you an even more confident teacher but will also hopefully augment your chances of success in applying elsewhere.

3. Buttles

Buttles New commenter

Get out of the UK if you are young and skilled.
    The UK has NO future for anyone who does not welcome the advent of a breakdown in the social, political and economic order inflicted by the bien pensants in the 1960s and reaching its apogee in the financial meltdown of 2007-2011.
    In the first quarter of 2011 repossessions rose 15% to over 9,000 properties. What does that tell you about the underlying economic fundamentals in the UK some three and a half years since the Northern Rock collapse?
    The political situation in the UK is dreadful - the total collapse of the Lib Dems under Clegg and a Labour Party run by the people who screwed up under Gordon Brown.
    Cameron is a nice man but he has no vision for Britain beyond the mantra of "cuts' which are no doubt necessary now that the UK is insolvent; but will not rescue a country which has drunk deep from the toxic well of easy credit and low moral values.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Thank you for the political rant, Buttles.
    The issue of whether or not it is a good idea to stay in the UK and do your NQT year (and maybe a few more years) is one that has been discussed, mulled over and argued about on this forum on many occasions. No, I am not going to a summary of all of the arguments for and against. I think that I shall just confine myself to saying that a job in an international school is usually a lot better than being unemployed. For many newly qualified teachers in England, and even more so in Scotland, is there really of a choice?

5. I have to agree with you there Hippo. I've taken the plunge and am going back overseas (I worked as an unqualified teacher for 4 years overseas before). My bank balance can't take another year of irregular supply work while waiting to do my NQT year. So if you don't already have a job for next year in the UK there is nothing wrong with going overseas instead of going into debt on supply.

6. Thanks everyone!
    I am determined to go overseas, although I'm not sure I will get the chance with only having one year's experience; I can only try!
    I need to escape the grey cloud over this country... the grass is always greener? I certainly hope so!

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

If you have a job in the UK, stay and get more experience. You are cheap to employ and this is your major advantage with home based schools as many are budget restrained. I worked for many years at home on temporary contracts as this is the way things seem to be going. I find it harder to get opportunities at home, now I'm at the top of the scale.
    Overseas, many schools seem to pay the same/similar salaries for staff, so of course will value experienced staff more, as they are relatively better value for money. The feeling is that parents - who of course pay the fees - value them more also, so some schools want to employ an experienced, hence competent in their eyes, staff.
    p.s. for the future, being married to a teacher is also viewed highly overseas, arriving as a teaching couple, as costs for the school in terms of accommodation are minimised. In a similar vein, dependent kids are seen as a negative.

8. I'm 23 and currently doing my NQT year at a school in Lincolnshire, I love it but I felt like I needed to spread my wings a little.
    So I applied for a school in Thailand, got called to an interview, and I got the job.
    I honestly can't wait to get out there.
    So its definitely possibile, and it shows that vast experience is not always needed.
    Go for it!

9. the hippo

I am definitely <u>not</u> 23 and hippos do not have any wings. However, I have enjoyed teaching in international schools in Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE and Qatar. I would recommend working in schools away from the UK to any young teacher, even if it is only for a few years. On the other hand, you may decide that you like being overseas so much that you won't want to go back to the UK.

10. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

<font size="3">I am also in my NQT year and have landed a slot overseas however I am over 30 and have had experience living overseas as well as over 12 years experience in working in several different industries before taking on teaching. So I have not found the step up in to NQT as hard as some. (don&rsquo;t get me wrong my GTP damn near killed me!!!) </font>

11. Groovybob has
    I think I read too much Viz....

12. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

Fat Slags!!!
    You know it!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Go for it!

14. the hippo

While I would say that a teaching job in Qatar is preferable to being unemployed in the UK, I would also say that anyone thinking of working in this part of the world should remember that there are some pretty bad schools in Qatar.
    Accommodation can be an issue. (Yes, the better schools will offer you single accommodation.) Sharing accommodation with someone you have never met before might be okay at university, but it isn't when you are in your forties or fifties.
    Another thing to bear in mind is that it is incredibly HOT for several months each year (okay, you do get away from the worst of it in the summer). If you do not have a car, it is not always easy to get around when the temperature is 40+.
    Although I myself have never had any problems with exit visas, I have heard of teachers who have had difficulties.
    I am not trying to be negative. Younger members of our profession, who have never taught overseas before, may well find themselves at schools that are far from ideal.

15. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Maybe too late in applying? I would start november! That is subject dependent of course. Also 2 years experience min seems to be the standard requirement and I would be suspicious of any school hiring lots of newly qualifiers or those straight out of a pgce.

As for being older I agree I found the pgce and nqt years not that stressful in terms of paperwork or organisation as that comes with prior experience. But there does seem to be ageism in teaching unfortunately in some schools / countries whereas we bring more to the table at the same cost

16. HI Nemo,
    I have been applying since the beginning of March, and am not having much luck so far. I have been invited to interview at a school in Qatar - although as you say, I am very suspicious that they seem so keen to employ new teachers. After doing a bit of research on the place, I am not feeling too posiitve about it. I am going along to the interview for the experience, however!
    I agree with you that two year's experience is vital for shortlisting. With gaining that crucial other year in mind, I have started applying for jobs in Scotland (all 4 of them), and some down South.
    I am 25 and do have the freedom to move around, but I'm trying to be sensible about it. Happiness is the most important thing, after all. Isn't it?.....

17. I think it depends. How much other experience do you have? Are you in a shortage subject? Are you confident you're a good teacher? Etc. Etc.
    I'm in my NQT year. I've applied for five international jobs so far - mostly at middle tier schools. I was offered two interviews. Unfortunately and very sadly I couldn't attend the first as our house sale fell through so it became difficult to make the move financially. I had the second this week and am waiting to hear. I've just sent out another application in case. I think it depends on your background and any other extras you can offer. Keep trying - you never know...