1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT should I retract my second resignation letter?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by redpepper9991, Jun 17, 2016.

1. redpepper9991

redpepper9991 New commenter

Hi all
    Advice needed.
    I have recently handed my second letter of resignation to my head after being told I won't pass my final term.

Context- after a really bad observation judged as 'requiring improvement' in this second week of my third term I was offered the option of extending my NOT year into next year.

I came home, I cried and cried before putting a cigarette out onto my hand feeling like a failure. I felt angry, annoyed and lost. I then emailed my resignation to the head, for a second time.

Now I'm back to square one again - feeling like I've made a mistake resigning and not having the balls to tell the head I actually do care about my kids. What can I do!!

2. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Right stop that now.

Resigning does NOT mean you don't care about your class. It means you care about YOU. RI, while not the best feeling in the world, does NOT make you a bad teacher. It makes you a teacher who had a bad lesson when someone happened to be watching.

A job should NEVER lead you to consider or carry out self harm. I don't believe that you have made a mistake in resigning because if you've felt like this twice - and resigning isn't something anyone rushes into for the sake of it - you are likely to feel that way again. Except this time you're stuck there until Christmas. Christmas.

Over 6 months away.

A head teacher once told me that an NQT should never fail and that if an NQT does fail it's because they're inadequately supported by the school they're in. Think about that for a moment.

Then remember there's only a few weeks left. Hold your head high and know that you'll be free soon.

3. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

Sounds to me like the school are trying to help. They must see something in you if they want to give you another chance. Just go and grovel to the Head. They won't mind - they're getting someone on the cheap for another year.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

I agree with Billie. I think this is the right time for you to leave and I would also consider going to see a GP as well if I was in your position.

You obviously care about your children but this situation is almost not worth saving. I think it'd be better to just leave and take stock of your options.

What are you planning on doing when you leave? :)

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Should you retract? You mean, would the school allow you to retract. There is no right to unilaterally withdraw a resignation once accepted and the school can hold you to it.

Fortunately it sounds as if your school is trying to be helpful, but never resign in haste. There is no automatic right to change your mind.

Billie73, wanet and harsh-but-fair like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are not going to pass your final term, you need union advice and support urgently to negotiate a way of leaving with your last term still to do rather than failed.

What have the NQT team said? If you aren't going to pass then they should be involved, supporting and advising you and your mentor.

What is the staff situation at your school? Have they already appointed a replacement? If so, then you will have to leave. You cannot just keep resigning and then changing your mind later.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Putting out a cigarette on your hand requires that you go to your doctor. I would think you need more than simple career-advice. Please do make an appointment. ASAP.

les25paul likes this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

When you say the second week of your third term, do you mean this took place several weeks ago? That would make your leaving date the end of August, and you may already have been replaced. There is a chance that you haven't, or that another vacancy has come up, so it you are keen to stay, you can still ask. You do need to aks yourself if you really want to face the stress that teaching brings. Deciding that you don't would not be showing that you don't care about the kids - I am sure that you do.

However, I share @grumpydogwoman's concerns, and echo her advice.

9. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Ask for early withdrawl, get written confirmation of the extention of your induction if you can. Do some supply teaching for a while to build up your skill set, then see if you can find somewhere (you could do this via supply) to finish your induction. If you've been able to get the confirmation of an extention to your induction confirmed this would give you 2 terms for doing induction, which is totally doable. As I understand one term is, but it's a little more high stakes....but if you are doing it on supply you could leave early and then the term isn't completed.

But the first thing you need to do is a trip to the GPs.

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If the job is causing you to self harm - get to your GP. No job is worth branding yourself for! Now you have resigned, I would get looking for a place to finish your NQT year - resigning and reneging will just make you look weak in the eyes of SLT IMO!

Good luck!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. redpepper9991

Thank you. This has really helped, especially the part about being likely to resign again. It's been a very emotional year with extreme lows for me but leaving is best for me, my goal now is to try not beating myself about leaving.

grumpydogwoman, Billie73 and bob79 like this.
  12. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

redpepper9991 likes this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

"A head teacher once told me that an NQT should never fail and that if an NQT does fail it's because they're inadequately supported by the school they're in. Think about that for a moment."

I agree with that 100%. Wise words from a wise Head.

Sending you thoughts and prayers to you repepper9991.

14. redpepper9991

Hey. I've called it quits and I'm sticking with my decision of leaving. It's best for my health. I've also made an appointment at the GP.
    Teaching isn't for me, but at least I can say I give it everything I had. Thank you for those comments everyone.
    Time to move on now!

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Thank goodness!

Well done!

You won't regret it.

I made numerous false starts in jobs and so forth. So what!

Best wishes.

redpepper9991 and Alldone like this.
  16. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

A very good and such a true statement.
    I have known many schools rush to join the latest training schemes and then not support the beginner teachers and NQT's as they have too many inexperienced staff and do not understand their responsibilities to the trainees. Looks good on the school headed paper.
    Sadly with the growth of academies and LEA's becoming less involved in education the opportunity for sharing experiences and general mutual support/guidance is diminishing.
    Years ago there was always an LEA advisor with responsibility for NQT's and regular INSET with other colleagues.

pepper5 and grumpydogwoman like this.