1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT seeking ideas for new job.... Eeeeeekkk!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by janeyhough, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I am wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice?

I have secured my first teaching job in a fantastic school where I will be working within Key Stage One, not as teacher of my own class but as a teacher who will work with small groups to enhance their learning.
    The school operates a creative curriculum one morning a week. During this session, the classes move between four subjects: Spanish, Philosophy, Citizenship and I.T. I have been asked to think of ideas of a theme that I would like to plan, prepare and teach for all Year 1 and 2 (upper and lower) classes.

I have had to think of a subject that I could plan into 15minute sessions. Off the top of my head I have thought about teaching the children issues relating to climate change and recycling, looking after chicken eggs in Spring and watching them hatch and develop, and involve talks about their progress in the school allotment and the importance of healthy living.

Do you think that these ideas are suitable and could be turned into a good creative subject? The school are expecting Ofsted this school year and as I am only an NQT I am worried I cannot live up to the ?Outstanding? standard that they have come to expect from this school.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

2. I am wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice?

I have secured my first teaching job in a fantastic school where I will be working within Key Stage One, not as teacher of my own class but as a teacher who will work with small groups to enhance their learning.
    The school operates a creative curriculum one morning a week. During this session, the classes move between four subjects: Spanish, Philosophy, Citizenship and I.T. I have been asked to think of ideas of a theme that I would like to plan, prepare and teach for all Year 1 and 2 (upper and lower) classes.

I have had to think of a subject that I could plan into 15minute sessions. Off the top of my head I have thought about teaching the children issues relating to climate change and recycling, looking after chicken eggs in Spring and watching them hatch and develop, and involve talks about their progress in the school allotment and the importance of healthy living.

Do you think that these ideas are suitable and could be turned into a good creative subject? The school are expecting Ofsted this school year and as I am only an NQT I am worried I cannot live up to the ?Outstanding? standard that they have come to expect from this school.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

might be a good idea to find out what they've done before so that you don't repeat anything, to start off.

how do you do creative curriculum only one morning a week?

5. Sorry, i hadn't explained this fully... they work creatively all long. On one morning the children go between classes to get a taste of subjects not necessarily tied to the curriculum. The teachers can pick a subject/theme that they feel is worthy of teaching on a weekly basis and that can link creatively to national curriculum subjects.