1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Science Teacher without a Job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Longbow212, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Feeling really depressed about not having a job, not sure were I am going wrong or if there are just surplus science/biology teachers this year. I am now considering taking a gap year and teaching English abroad, working on my A-level chemistry before coming back and trying again next year, at least that way I can make a living and have a purpose.
    I started applying a little late in around mid June but still got at least about 10 good applications in. It is very discouraging to spend days writing a bespoke letter of application only to not even get so much as an interview. My uni tutors even said my applications were strong.
    I am starting to wonder if my references are not good, I had a tough school and a mentor that scarcely did any mentoring at all
    Are there many other science/biology teachers out there without jobs? On my PGCE course almost all the chemists and physicists got jobs were as most of the biologists did not. I really can't bare to sit around waiting for the phone to ring offering supply work.

2. No, don't get depressed about it, a lot of people are in a similar position. At least you have thought about other options, going abroad, etc.
    It is now a myth that there are shortages in any subject, I teach Maths and I could'nt fart in the wind to get a job at the moment. In Science too, the schools are loving having a large crop to 'pick' teachers from.
    Think about what would possibly stand you out from the others who apply for the same position and making yourself a stronger candidate, including Theo's clickables.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I can sympathize with you - it's horrid not being able to get a job. And certainly Biology is less in demand, with more applicants, than Chemistry or Physics. So you are not the only one in that boat, although that is really little consolation, I know.
    Let's look at what you say.
    Yes, that's rather late; and by then, many schools had realised how much they were losing from their budget, so didn't replace leaving teachers.
    How do you know that they were good? An effective application (aka a good application) actually gets you interviews.
    So no interviews, this means that the applications weren't effective. This is not as brutal a comment as it may seem - it's better to realise that there is something wrong with your applications, rather than thinking that there is something wrong with you!
    Well, whenever I read this, I always think: How many teacher appointment panels have these tutors actually been on? Ever? In other words, they may not be the best ones to judge.
    Although a few schools will ask to see references before deciding on who to call for interview, most don't. So this is unlikely to have stopped you getting an interview. Besides, you'll have your uni tutor as one referee, surely?
    So are you setting out in your application how this has helped you become a better teacher?
    Let's look now at the way ahead:
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools.
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 When you get a few early-morning phonecalls and get some supply under your belt, do make sure that you are making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply. Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 4 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 5 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: the next one of Winning That Teaching Job is Saturday 24th September. There will be some in October too, that I shall be leading, if you can't make this first one.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Point 6 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it (just calculate the difference between JSA and a NQT salary . . .), it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    Very best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!