1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Science Inner City London

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by thedan22, Dec 13, 2011.

1. thedan22

thedan22 New commenter

Hi, I currently doing a PGCE in Biology and after christmas intend to start the hunt for work, with my preferred location been london (as this is where my girlfriend works). However, im a little skeptical about it with regard finance and the stress of teaching in a inner city school.(behaviour issues etc)
    Can anyone give me some advice, maybe of friends or your own experience.
    Thanks

2. thedan22

thedan22 New commenter

Hi, I currently doing a PGCE in Biology and after christmas intend to start the hunt for work, with my preferred location been london (as this is where my girlfriend works). However, im a little skeptical about it with regard finance and the stress of teaching in a inner city school.(behaviour issues etc)
    Can anyone give me some advice, maybe of friends or your own experience.
    Thanks

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Behaviour varies with the school and just because it is inner city does not automatically mean problems unlike any other school in the country.I found more issues teaching outside London. In London you will find a larger multicultural and EAL population so you need to think through your teaching strategies and experience to ensure your inclusion of groups. With regard to Finance you need to research specific areas and particularly the commuter routes- there is good reason why people do commute and it can be less expensive to live the further out you go. Of course you need to factor the travel time into your plans.
    You also need to consider where the opportunities will crop up. Generally posts in SE London are well subscribed as this is where all the colleges are based so there is a turnout of students each year. East and North London are less well served.

4. Hi, I work in an inner city academy that is perceived as being "tough" - but I love it! Don't rule them out. The behaviour isn't half as bad as I thought it would be, and it's certainly interesting! I come home of an evening with some very funny stories to tell my partner! These type of schools tend to have management that is very driven and ambitious - so they can be a great experience for teachers and looks impressive on your job history. I would also say that in the current job market (which is extremely competitive), the leafy "nice" schools in the suburbs will have a huge number of applicants, whereas the slightly scary looking schools will let you get your foot in the door! Go for it!!