1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT school in special measures

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by strawberrypip, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Looking for some advice please! I'm an NQT in my first term of induction, on a temporary contract until July. My school has just been inspected and is now in special measures. If I do get offered a permanent contract for september, would I be allowed to take this legally? Also, would it be advisable to take it, or should I start looking elsewhere for other positions? Bit confused about my situation ! Any advice appreciated.

2. Looking for some advice please! I'm an NQT in my first term of induction, on a temporary contract until July. My school has just been inspected and is now in special measures. If I do get offered a permanent contract for september, would I be allowed to take this legally? Also, would it be advisable to take it, or should I start looking elsewhere for other positions? Bit confused about my situation ! Any advice appreciated.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not at all sure about the legalities. But as for whether or not you take it, it is up to you. Do you like working there? Do you think you would benefit from staying? Would you like to stay? If you want to (and are legally allowed to) then do so.

I assume you won't still be an NQT in September, so there should be no problem with them recruiting you should they wish to.

4. Hi
    Legally, as you started before thge school went into special measures then you are allowed to finish your contract until July. After this, if the school wishes to employ you on a permanent contract they would have to seek permission from OFSTED to do so if they are still in special measures.
    That said, now that the school is in special measures the LA must ensure that the school is able to provcide you with full support as a NQT and they must ensure that the challenges you face do not jeopardise you meeting the induction standards so they should provide regular checks and support for you. Do talk to the LA NQT adviser about what support, help and plans they have to ensure that you are not disadvantaged by the school being in SM.
    James

5. Thanks, that clears up a lot of confusion !