1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Rule change (chance of doing it abroad)

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by tillsbury, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Has anybody heard anything about these changes and how likely they are to happen.
    http://www.devonldp.org/do_download.asp?did=302923
    From what i can gather there could be a chance of nqts been able to do their induction year at British Schools abroad other than SCE schools. Does anyone know if this is going to happen or when we will find out about the changes?

2. I just wanna bump this up to see if anyone can shed light on this

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If the changes go ahead it requires Parliarmentary approval and Gove is planning to get it through by Easter- however the Lords have reacted against their plans in the past so its not a certainty. In addition there are also a lot of unknowns about the changes such as what happens once your 5 years for doing induction have elapsed?

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I might perhaps be helpful if tillsbury (or maybe James_Willimas) could explain what he or she meant by the vague and misleading phrase "British Schools abroad".

5. Hmmm i am not called James
    Anyway. I don't really see why writing 'British Schools abroad' is misleading. Vague, i understand. I was just using the term the document had used in my first post, which does not specify. I assume it is schools abroad that use the National Curriculum. This would be great as it would give more options than just the SCE schools.

Thanks for the replies.

6. the hippo

No, tillsbury. James Williams is called "James". Your username is "tillsbury". I hope that we have cleared that up that little misunderstanding.
    The phrase "British Schools abroad" is very unclear, vague and confusing. For a start, even though some "international" schools do indeed say that they follow the National Curriculum, the reality is that they add some extra bits that are not in the NC and they also leave some bits out that are supposed to be in it. Secondly, there are some schools that call themselves "British International Schools", so would you say, tillsbury, that these schools are in fact "British Schools abroad" or are they really "international" schools? Or both? Or neither? Then what about schools in foreign countries that say that they are "British" and do the PYP and the IB? Are these schools not really "British" at all, even though the principal and the majority of their teachers (and most of their students) might well come from the UK?
    I do hope that you will now explain to us all, clearly and precisely, what is meant by the phrase "British Schools abroad" and perhaps you could also make clear how we can always tell the difference between an "international" school and a "British School abroad".
    And a Happpy New Year to you.

7. I think the analysis of 'British school abroad' is irrelevent to this topic to be honest.

8. the hippo

Well, if "British Schools abroad" are irrelevant, then why did you mention them in your original post?

9. Just wondered if we had any more information on this? Really need the info- hope they get a move on...