1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT rights- what exactly are they?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by treespirit, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Just need to know conclusively what the legality is regarding NQT time plus PPA time for NQTs. I would also like to know where the small print is please, so I cite it- even head teachers are not clear on this. Basically I have potentially got a job where the head has said that I will be granted induction. However, she wants to do this via my supply agency (as only for a term and a half) in which case they would give me PPA only, but no extra NQT time.
    Is this legal? Or does it depend on the LEA?
    Also, why do you think she won't give me a proper contract?
    If there are any other rights that I need to know about please let me know!
    Many thanks x

2. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

My understanding is i you do more than 6weeks/half term in a school it counts towards your NQT year, therefore you should be entiltailed to your NQT time and support etc... that goes with being an NQT, e.g. NQT courses and obs and mentor.

Not sure where to look or offical info, but if you search NQT in google it should give you it.

Hope this helps.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Bizarrely, the entitlement is the other way around.
    If you're doing your induction then you are entitled to your NQT time, but if you're employed through an agency then you're not automatically entitled to PPA.
    Ordinarily I would advise against accepting such a post, but I also recognise that in tough times choices are not always that easy.