1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Returning to teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cdinn, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    I completed two terms of my NQT year at a challenging secondary school but left, officially, after the Easter term in 2010. I have been noted as successfully completing the terms but with cause for concern in the second term. I have both progress reports from my LEA and my NQT observations.
    I did not enjoy my time at the school and left with the aid of my union and an agreed reference. I have since taken a TEFL course and been teaching in Italy since then, I am teaching all age ranges and am currently in local high schools teaching children English for foreign language examinations.
    I intend to apply for jobs in the next few months to commence in September but am looking, specifically for short term contracts. I would preferably apply for a term or two in the UK. I am aware that if this plan doesn't work I will need to take supply work, but I really don't want to apply for a permanent job, as I would like to keep my options open at this stage and potentially to return to TEFL teaching after I have completed my NQT.
    Really, I would like to know how I should approach the issue of the second term in my application form as I will have a two year gap between UK schools? And how can I emphasise my non-UK teaching experience in the best light, as I assume many schools will be concerned about my ability to manage classroom behaviour?
    Thanks for any help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you actually look at the recent successes of posters, you'll see that about 85-90% are short-term posts. There is little else available.
    In fact there is little available. You will have to accept that the job market is very fierce.
    There may not be any. Have you looked on the Supply Teachers Forum?
    To continue my pessimistic line of answering . . . you have to be honest here about the 2nd term. You cannot hide it, but can say that your 2 years abroad have taught you to see where you were going wrong, etc.
    The EAL aspect could be very useful if you apply to schools in urban areas - especially London - where there are large numbers of immigrants. This could in fact be a big point to your advantage.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars