1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Resigning during extended NQT

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by torchy1951, Mar 26, 2018.

1. torchy1951

torchy1951 New commenter

Hi all

I'm currently at the end of my third term as an NQT and after passing my first two terms I was expecting to be signed off this Easter. However, I was told late last week that I had not passed my final term and my NQT would be extended. I was given no warning of this until a meeting with the head last week (8 days before end of term). My question is, if my extended term does not go well and I am told part way through the term that there is a possibility of me failing it, would I be able to resign at that point to avoid failing and start another term as an NQT at a different school at a later date?

As far as I can see this is possible if you're in your third term but can't find any answers regarding resigning during an extended NQT.

Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You urgently need to query this decision with the Appropriate Body directly. Schools cannot extend an induction period only the AB can do this.
    There needs to be a clear process for NQTs who are not meeting standards rather than a last minute decision. NQTs should receive additional support where there are issues with an induction. There has to be evidence to support the underperformance in terms of lesson observations and classroom concerns identified. Above all the statutory guidance emphasises that there should be NO SURPRISES as induction is based upon clear feedback and support. You can also appeal against the fail to the DFE and you should speak with the named contact at the AB and also seek advice and support from your union.
    Induction is only extended once the third assessment is FAILED and if you did leave part way through then this could create problems in securing another post
    Do check the statutory guidance.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/induction-for-newly-qualified-teachers-nqts

pepper5 likes this.
  3. torchy1951

torchy1951 New commenter

Thank you so much for your full and quick response. My concern about contacting the AB is that it won’t be confidential and a subsequent investigation concerning NQT practice at the school would only further jeopardise my position. I will contact the union. Thank you again for your help and advice.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. teachersam321

teachersam321 New commenter

Hi, I am now also in basically the same situation. I don't know what can be done. Did you find anything out?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It certainly should be confidential as this is the role of the named contact in the AB. Ultimately it is the AB not the school that decides upon induction and has the main quality assurance role . The guidance stated
    Named contact at the appropriate body
    2.25 At registration the appropriate body should provide the NQT with a named contact with whom they may raise any concerns about their induction programme that they are unable to resolve. This person should not be directly involved in monitoring or supporting the NQT or in making decisions about satisfactory completion of induction.
    You need to shine a light on the bad practices in the school to challenge them!
    You are welcome to PM me if you need to discuss further.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if it helps, I have worked with 3 teachers who have failed NQT. All 3 moved on about Easter, found a school that suited them better and are now working as qualified and confident teachers in a school that appreciates them. Keep confident in yourself and you will get there.

Timetoshine and pepper5 like this.