1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT resignation

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by monia89, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Hello everyone

I have just started my NQT year in a secondary school but due to a series of problems (health and wrong choice of school) I'm thinking to resign shortly. Is anyone in my same situation? Do you know the conseguences if I decide to start again the NQT year in a different school in the future? Thank you very much

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The earliest you can now leave is at the end of the Christmas term by which time you will have completed one term of your NQT year. You can then "bank" this and complete the remaining two at a different school. You can't start again completely unless the school have forgotten to sign you up for your NQT assessment!

3. Thank you Carrie for your reply. But what if I will not be able to be in school until December for health issues missing most of the term? Thanks again

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Induction is automatically extended if absences of 30 days or more arise in a year. But as the minimim period for induction to "count" is a term then, presumably if you don't complete a term then you would have to start again from scratch

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes Carrie's advice is correct most appropriate bodies register the NQTs through a formal registration process so if you do leave within the first few weeks this would not be recognised as an induction start.

You do need to discuss this with your mentor and remember that although the induction won't be recognised the employment period will so you need a reference from the school to go with you. Talk over with your Union to get their support in this and to negotiate your leaving.