1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT registration after 31st March

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by estewart1, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what will be in place for the registration of NQT's when the GTCE is closed?

I qualified in Scotland and was looking at moving south and completing an induction year in England.

Also after completion of an induction year what is the current form of acknowledgement and how will this be affected with the closure of the GTCE?

Thanks!

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Induction took place for several years before the GTC was even in existence. It will carry on when the GTC disbands. The remit of the GTC will pass to a new division of the department of Education. NQTs will continue to be registered with the relevant LAs and the Department of Education will confer QTS on those who meet requirements on PGCE courses and GTP programmes.
    When Induction is completed successsfully, a certificate arrives several months later, sent to the school where the final Induction term was undertaken. I completed my Induction in July of 2003 and my certificate arrived in the November.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction will remain statutory and some of the registration requirements transfer to the Teaching Agency which is now within DfE. There should be further details in March about the exact details. Scottish GTC remains in place and is unaffected by the English arrangements

4. Thanks for that information - I didn't get much from the DfE or the GTCE when I spoke to them but this makes more sense!

I have been teaching on supply in Scotland but I feel that my service has been patchy as it has been so difficult to secure a long term post in Scotland. I am now considering applying for an NQT post in England as I feel this would give me the opportunity to more fully develop my skills as a teacher. Does anyone have any advice about this? Also would my chances of getting a NQT post be affected due to already having some teaching experience?

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The job situation in England is very regional and depends upon your phase/training and part of the country you are in. Generally the North and South West have fared badly in terms of induction opportunities. You need to do local research to find out trends and any hot spots for opportunities.