1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT reality different from job description

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by RamC, Nov 8, 2011.

1. RamC

RamC New commenter

I am an NQT employed as a PMLD teacher in a mixed SEN secondary school. My job description is for a PMLD teacher and I was told at interview that I would be teaching my class all of their lessons. As it's a new class I am having to write new levelled plans from scratch, new assessment and progress charts and also train up my 5 TA's. One of my pupils is off school long term and I also do his individual planning and assessment and have a morning at his house once a week- which is a further morning out of class. In reality, I teach my class about 50% of the time. I get excellent and regular PPA and NQT time, but in addition have been asked to teach a mixed group one full day a week. These are mixed ability SLD and ASD pupils, ranging from p4- NC 3 as well as one student having very challenging behaviour. The planning and assessment is completely different from my planning formats, and because it's an accredited course the structure needs to be excellent. But, I feel as if I dread my Tuesdays. I feel unsafe and so stressed. It isn't planning lessons I'm struggling with, but switching from my group to the ability levels of this group. My mentor is the deputy head and he knows how I feel but has told me I need to teach other students as an NQT. I thought I should not be asked to teach a group outside the group I was employed to teach. Is this correct? The really sad thing is, I am very passionate about teaching pupils who have PMLD and that's why I took the job. can anyone advise over the situation please?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The statutory guidance 2.24states that the NQT
    Should not normally demand teaching outside the age range/and or subjects for which the NQT has been employed to teach
    Must not present the NQT on a day to day basis with discipline problems that are unreasonably demanding
    If you feel you are not getting anywhere with your mentor/head you can discuss your concerns with the LA named person.