1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT rate of pay for Supply Work

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jpatmac2105, Aug 25, 2012.

  1. Hi everyone! Just wondering how much to expect to get paid for supply work in the North West region. I have been quoted by one agency as £90 for a full day supply work (primary) and was wondering if this is low, average or high! Any recommendations for good supply agencies to join would be much appreciated! Thank you. Look forward to hearing from you!!
  2. There is not a 'rate of pay' for an NQT as such.
    All teachers, working for an LA on supply would begin on M1, which equates to £17.07 per hour (6.5 hours per day).
    Agencies are of course free to pay what they want and generally they will pay the same rate to everyone, except in circumstances where a specific teacher is required for a specific demand, which is unlikely to be the case in Primary. I have heard of agency staff being paid as little as £70 per day all the way up to £100 per day.
    Depending on your LA, you should consider approaching a school as an individual looking for voluntary work. Request a CRB and payroll number (school may ask you to pay for CRB). This will ensure you are paid on M1, ensuring you are not losing a chunk to an agency. When you have an LA CRB check and payroll number you can approach schools in the area independently of an agency and work should follow. Most heads I know use this form of supply regularly and agencies as a last resort. It is more expensive for the school to use an agency than an individual.
    You will also benefit from the TPS and if you work any time in more than 25 weeks of the academic year you will qualify for a scale rise the following September. You will not get either of these working through an agency.
  3. You don't say if this is gross or net (before or AFTER deducations - I suspect it is before), but in essence the agency can pay you according to their scale (if they have one). Look at what they say the full time equivalent would be and compare that to the full time equivalent if you got a post in a mainstream school.
    The Sage

Share This Page