1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT quitting

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Oliviaframe, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Oliviaframe

Oliviaframe New commenter

Hello!

I am an NQT who has completed a year but has had an extension for 1 term (So I am expected to work until Christmas and hopefully pass by then!) Although now I know why it is called an NQT Year, it is so hard to re-meet all of the standards in one term!

I don’t want to fail NQT, but at the moment I feel like I’m not making head way with the standards, and I don’t know what to do. My ‘appraisal’ (Meeting with mentor) is on Friday (11.10.19) , we finish for half term next Friday (18.10.19) and I am unsure as to quit now so that I don’t fail the year or to keep slogging on.

Can someone offer advice on what to do please.

Thank you.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Open and honest discussion with mentor? Ask them what you still need to do and whether they think you're going to get there. Are they supporting you well?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

As a mentor I'd hope my mentee would go through the standards and list very briefly which ones he/she is confident they're meeting and which ones need extra attention. Then I'd be lined up to discuss, agree self-assessment, and offer help or guidance for the gaps.

mountainchris2 likes this.