1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT quitting

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Oliviaframe, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Oliviaframe

Oliviaframe New commenter

Hello!

I am an NQT who has completed a year but has had an extension for 1 term (So I am expected to work until Christmas and hopefully pass by then!) Although now I know why it is called an NQT Year, it is so hard to re-meet all of the standards in one term!

I don’t want to fail NQT, but at the moment I feel like I’m not making head way with the standards, and I don’t know what to do. My ‘appraisal’ (Meeting with mentor) is on Friday (11.10.19) , we finish for half term next Friday (18.10.19) and I am unsure as to quit now so that I don’t fail the year or to keep slogging on.

Can someone offer advice on what to do please.

Thank you.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Open and honest discussion with mentor? Ask them what you still need to do and whether they think you're going to get there. Are they supporting you well?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

As a mentor I'd hope my mentee would go through the standards and list very briefly which ones he/she is confident they're meeting and which ones need extra attention. Then I'd be lined up to discuss, agree self-assessment, and offer help or guidance for the gaps.

mountainchris2 likes this.
  4. freckle9

freckle9 New commenter

How did it go? I've been told my NQT needs to be extended until Dec 2020 and am worried.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Did they explain why?

6. tgletts

tgletts New commenter

Sorry! I wrote something here then wanted to remove the post but didn't know how so just put three dots! Apologies.

7. tgletts

tgletts New commenter

Ok, So I think you need to be very honest with yourself and also - if you have the sort of working relationship that permits this - with your mentor as well. Have a frank (and probably off the record) conversation about your suitability for the role. This is hard, and only you know if this is something you can actually do with your mentor. It really is an unpleasant situation. I have had some very, very grim times so far too. You're not alone
    If you reflected on your performance, came to speak to your mentor with an open and honest self appraisal, I don't think that it would be unreasonable to ask your mentor for specific examples of your weaknesses, and how you can develop these, following this sort of reflection. It would also be nice to talk about some strengths too. Making someone feel as though they are doing a wholly poor job is not an effective management technique and is a reason new (and experienced) teachers leave the profession. This is a hard job. You achieve a lot more with the carrot than the stick - especially on NQT wages!
    Know your self-worth too. NQTs are cheap. The school owes you just as much as you owe the school. If you feel that you have been sufficiently supported though, you'll need to implement the changes your mentor suggests and make the right noises quickly. I'd suggest maybe trying to get a job elsewhere too once you've passed. If there are other, different jobs at a similar pay point, don't rule these out either. Often I think it is rather a case of FIFO at work and the NQT is just not the right fit for the faculty rather than the NQT actually not being a good teacher.

8. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

Do not think you are failing your NQT year until your school has given you EVERY opportunity to succeed. As above post says, they are getting a bargain out of you, so you deserve decent on-the-job training and support before there is any mention of you not achieving the standards. Most mentors are fab and will want to help you through. But sometimes mentors are busy, not interested, incompetent or non existent and you will need to be the one to push this. Insist on observing other teachers, (the ones you think are good) at least once a week, and if poss, observe alongside your mentor, who can talk you through exactly, in minute detail, what that teacher is doing to be successful. Experienced teachers make it look easy/ natural and sometimes what they are doing needs unpicking and examining. Then you should be given time to practise some of these elements in your own teaching. Finally, some of these elements( be it behaviour management or effective questioning) could become your own targets and the basis of the observations made of you by your Mentor.
    There is a paragraph in the Government’s guidance on NQTs that states you must be given adequate support. There is also a section on the NQT assessment form where you agree/disagree whether or not you’ve been given enough support. Ask around other NQTs in other schools to see what sort of help they are getting, before you think it’s ‘you’. It’s a bloody hard job, and I think takes about 2 years to get your head around the basics. There’s also some good books available and great teachers on Twitter to follow for tips. Good luck.