1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT questions please have a look

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by RamC, Sep 4, 2011.

1. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hello

Although I've worked in SEN for 10 years, I'm just beginning my NQT year as teacher of a class of key stage 3/4 class of young people, all with PMLD.

I have two questions I was wondering if you more experienced folk would answer for me:)

1. There is a boy on role in my class who has not attended school for more than 2 years. Because he is on my class list, surely I must still have some responsibility for his eduction? No one seems to have visited him for a long time.

2. I've got 5 staff of varying levels of experience- how do I get the best from them, using their skills etc while retaining my own preference for the routine etc?

Becca

2. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hello

Although I've worked in SEN for 10 years, I'm just beginning my NQT year as teacher of a class of key stage 3/4 class of young people, all with PMLD.

I have two questions I was wondering if you more experienced folk would answer for me:)

1. There is a boy on role in my class who has not attended school for more than 2 years. Because he is on my class list, surely I must still have some responsibility for his eduction? No one seems to have visited him for a long time.

2. I've got 5 staff of varying levels of experience- how do I get the best from them, using their skills etc while retaining my own preference for the routine etc?

Becca

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Hi Becca,
    I would talk to your SMT about the boy who has not attended and see what their policy is. There may be an educational social worker, learning mentor or someone with a similar role working with the family or some specific reason why the boy has not attended (eg long term hospital admission) that you don't know about.
    Regarding your staff: I'd meet with them really early on and outline your plans, routines, expectations and aims. Show them what you need to do, what the pupils need to learn etc and ask for their input and advice Ask about the specific pupils that they may have worked with before, things that they enjoy in their job, what they see their strengths are etc. Give them responsibility for recording and assessing the things they do with the pupils (you will need to teach them exactly how and often why you need it done in a certain way... the more experienced staff may have done something similar but not quite what you want and they will want to get it right for the childrens sake) Teaching assistants are so valuable and do want the best for the pupils They are usually very supportive of the teacher as long as they can see why something is being done in a certain way. You can incorporate their ideas into your planning as far as possible.
    Also post this second question on the teaching assistants forum and ask their advice.