1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - QTS INDUCTION YEAR MESS!?!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by James_Williams, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Yours is a difficult position, there is no legal requirement to complete induction in an FE college - it can be done, but only by arrangement with the LA and this needs to be sorted out and agreed before the start of the period or as soon as possible after you start. Normally the LA requires athe college to pay a fee and in return you must have the same entitlement to time off mentoring and support as any other NQT. This includes the statutory observations. It is very unlikely that a LA will accept the time up to date on induction.
    You need to meet with your line manager, contact the LA NQT adviser and see if they have any record of you or any approach from the FE college. Induction can start at any point in the year, so you could start now and finish at this point next academic year, but if the college decide not to offer induction you cannot really do anything about that.
    James

2. flybe

flybe New commenter

Thank you for getting back.

What did you mean by 'deadline for September starters is only 3 weeks away' - In what respect?

I will chase it down. Is it not possible if i am observed at some point before xmas that ithe observation would count to some of the time which has passed? Must I register to 'start' my induction year and was this my responsibility or was it the Colleges.

Is it completely irretrievable?

Thank you

3. Local Authorities will set a deadline for schools to send in the frist term induction paperwork towards the end of the autumn term.Legally you must be registered with the LA at or near the start of your induction. The Statutory guidance makes the registration of NQTs for induction the responsibility of the Headteacher of the school - many delegate this to others in the senior leadership team - in an FE it may be one of the middle managers or the head of the college, but FE colleges by law do not have to put any member of staff through induction so if registration is not done then there is really little to no comeback other than you registering a complaint, but that would not resolve the issue. The LA cannt, in law, backdate time on induction so that time is effectively lost, I'm sorry about this but the guidance is very clear on this matter. Theer are cases where people have thought they were registered for induction and all the observations etc and paperwork have been completed but someone forgot to register the NQT and so the LA refused to accept the paperwork and validate the induction - I am aware of people who have gone a whole year 'on induction' only to find that none of it counted and they had to do the induction year from scratch again.
    James

4. flybe

flybe New commenter

Thank you James.. I feel really let down. I have been put into a system (i.e. college) where , because of my contract type,I am effectievly used and no care is taken for my own future or development.

It is utterly demoralising as I wished for this year to be put away. The idea of the college and my department committing to NQT arrangements is not going to happen. Money, time and money again. They do not need to so they wont.

I am glad that there is nothing I could have done and I don't think I was to know any better when I was told it would be 'sorted'.

I think the next course of action is to see if I was ever registered as an NQT and if not will they be willing to to take on QTS NQT arrangements..

Thanks again.

5. Check tomorrow if you have been registered - contact the LOcal Authority and the NQT adviser and if you have been registered then the coillege will really have to work hard to get the paperwork done. If you are nopt registered then you can try again to set the wheels in motion, but this time double check that what should have been done has been done.
    James