1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT/QTS difference?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by NNS, Jan 29, 2011.

1. NNS

NNS New commenter

I started thinking about applying for jobs.
    I am not very familiar with the system though, and I was wondering whether I can apply for some of the ads that I found interesting, or whether it is a waste of time.
    Whenever the ads specifies that you need a QTS status, can I still apply still being a student, or do I need to hold a paper saying I have a QTS status, or is it for those who already passed their NQT induction? I'm a bit lost when it comes to all those details!
    Thanks!

2. NNS

NNS New commenter

I started thinking about applying for jobs.
    I am not very familiar with the system though, and I was wondering whether I can apply for some of the ads that I found interesting, or whether it is a waste of time.
    Whenever the ads specifies that you need a QTS status, can I still apply still being a student, or do I need to hold a paper saying I have a QTS status, or is it for those who already passed their NQT induction? I'm a bit lost when it comes to all those details!
    Thanks!

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

If a school asks for QTS, they are looking for a teacher who is qualified ( as opposed to some schools who are not bothered whether their staff are qualified or not!) . However this would not exclude a student from applying if ( as an example) the post starts in September and you will be qualified by then.

4. The NQT year, is normally your first year in teaching, to be completed after you have gained your QTS. Many adverts do not specify QTS, it is often assumed you have QTS, obviously you would have to prove this at interview. Hope this helps.

5. Another thing to check is whether the post is suitable for or open to NQTs, and that you get all the entitlements. Some posts carry additional responsibilities which make them unsuitable for NQTs, and are meant for experienced teachers moving on from their first or subsequent job. If the ad is unclear, phone up and ask so that you won't waste your time applying for an unsuitable job.

6. NNS

NNS New commenter

Thank you everyone!
    Some ads are quite unclear or even contradictory (the ad says something different than the actualy information on the school websote). I was also confused because some job applications ask for a lot of details that as a student I can not provide- like for example dates of receiving an QTS status-, and although I know that the applications are general, it is not very reassuring I have to leave so many spaces blank.

7. If you are unable to fill in a section as that bit of information cannot be given (that is you don't have QTS but expect it then provided they know that you are on a PGCE (so in your statement you may say something like you expect to be awarded QTS and M elevl PGCE in the summer of 2011) it is no problem -0 it won't count against you.
    James