1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

#NQT Problems

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by studentfairy, Sep 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM.

1. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

Feel like I need to write down all the problems I'm having.. is anyone else having the same? I'm in Y3...

-children not doing work in lessons (usually the LA, they just sit there)
    -lots of work unfinished
    -meant to be doing interventions in the afternoons ... I haven't done a single one yet because I'm too busy supervising the afternoon lessons :/
    -so bad at organising myself ... every morning and lunch I'm rushing around cutting and printing things off for my lessons...
    -sometimes forgetting school routines
    -teaching boring, simple lessons because I don't have time to plan them in detail like I did on placements...
    -feeling like I'm failing the children, especially the lower ability
    -sat the children in mixed ability (my university really enforced to us that we should do this) but it's not helping the LA.
    -parents asking me all sorts of questions that I don't know the answer to, or questioning why I have/haven't done things like seen a message in someone's planner. Or why so-and-so hasn't had any spellings this week - he didn't write them in!! Parents just act like their child is the only one in the class ... no, I have 29 other children and can't give each one my undivided attention.

There are loads more, these are just some. Everyone will read this and think I don't deserve a job and am ruining these children's futures. I'm sorry, I'm trying my best, I just need to get this off my chest.

2. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

Another
    -I always forget to do my (planned) starters/plenaries
    -struggle to keep the class quiet

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Sounds pretty standard.
    Get your ta to stick in homework, spellings and the admin side of things like trimming resources.
    Put your class into ability groups, it is easier to support groups in class.
    If you don't know the answer to a question just be honest and tell them but find out the answer ASAP.
    I'd say your planning is the most important thing. If your lessons are engaging then the behaviour will improve. Drama works amazingly well, as does getting kids to do mind maps. Every lesson should have a hook even if just a picture or a video. When I taught adverts I put up a massive burger King advert and the kids were naturally drawn to it. Make sure your input isn't too long.
    Think about your pace, give chn a question then get them to do it on their mini WB then another question. Constantly get them to do things and ask them questions.

Lucy2711 and blueskydreaming like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

the problem isn't you, it is the education system which leaves you no time at all to plan and teach

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Be kinder to yourself - you're a new teacher, you cannot be perfect as a new teacher (or ever!).

6. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

This was me, many years ago! You are in the same boat as most NQTs - whether they would admit it or not. And you need to see it as a long haul - even the most experienced / expert teachers have bad lessons / days / challenging classes. You just get used to it and know that you can deal with it.

Re forgetting things - that's because you're overloaded. Gradually more and more of the day to day stuff becomes second nature.

Agree with the celago22 re planning being critical. But it seems to me that you need to be finding some activities that the children can do relatively independently in order to create some time for you to - think, work with the lower ability pupils, develop the working atmosphere / culture that works for you, etc.

If you have any TA support, that can make a big difference. You need to ensure they are fully briefed before the lesson.

Keep working at it. There really isn't anything in your message that isn't what many, even most NQTs will be experiencing. It really does get better!

Alice K and blueskydreaming like this.
  7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

All teachers - especially NQTs - are ‘works in progress’ as we can all learn new ideas. None of this is unusual.

A key point you make (to me) is “my university really enforced to us that we should do this”. Lots of theory is fine...in theory. In practice it might not work. If it doesn’t work, change it. Working as a TA at the moment I see plenty of lessons where the theory has been thrown out of the window because it is more practical to do it a different way.

Alice K likes this.