1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT problems

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sarmer, Dec 11, 2011.

1. This isn't actually about me, its regarding a friend of mine who is having a really horrible NQT year.
    She is working in an outstanding Catholic school and has experienced bullying and backstabbing from the outset. In her interview, she was asked if she was 'living in sin with a man'. In her first month she was ill for a couple of days and was then subsequently summoned to the Head's office where he read her the riot act for missing 2 days. She has a number of special needs children in her class and when she went to the SENCO for advice on differentiation for them, the SENCO went to the Head to complain that my friend is 'not coping'. She has walked in on a number of her colleagues talking about her and has even experienced sexual harassment from one teacher. Her mentor has given her advice which she followed and was then told that this advice was wrong.
    She has passed 3 lessons observations but failed one. After the lessons that she failed, she was told that it went well and then 3 days later was told that it was a fail. She was then told that if she did not pass the repeat observation, she would fail the term. She did pass the observation and had a meeting with the head and the relevant subject leader confirming this. However, he then had an 'informal' meeting with her saying that she was at risk of failing the year and questioned her commitment to the job (which is extremely unfair on her, she works unbelieveably hard and got an outstanding in the PGCE). She now has to meet weekly targets and if she doesn't meet them she will fail.
    I've advised her to get out ASAP and to contact her union to get a termination of contract. She is from Ireland and has to opportunity to go back there rather than try to find another job for two terms which could be difficult. Does anyone have any advice for her?

2. This isn't actually about me, its regarding a friend of mine who is having a really horrible NQT year.
    She is working in an outstanding Catholic school and has experienced bullying and backstabbing from the outset. In her interview, she was asked if she was 'living in sin with a man'. In her first month she was ill for a couple of days and was then subsequently summoned to the Head's office where he read her the riot act for missing 2 days. She has a number of special needs children in her class and when she went to the SENCO for advice on differentiation for them, the SENCO went to the Head to complain that my friend is 'not coping'. She has walked in on a number of her colleagues talking about her and has even experienced sexual harassment from one teacher. Her mentor has given her advice which she followed and was then told that this advice was wrong.
    She has passed 3 lessons observations but failed one. After the lessons that she failed, she was told that it went well and then 3 days later was told that it was a fail. She was then told that if she did not pass the repeat observation, she would fail the term. She did pass the observation and had a meeting with the head and the relevant subject leader confirming this. However, he then had an 'informal' meeting with her saying that she was at risk of failing the year and questioned her commitment to the job (which is extremely unfair on her, she works unbelieveably hard and got an outstanding in the PGCE). She now has to meet weekly targets and if she doesn't meet them she will fail.
    I've advised her to get out ASAP and to contact her union to get a termination of contract. She is from Ireland and has to opportunity to go back there rather than try to find another job for two terms which could be difficult. Does anyone have any advice for her?

3. Record everything. Keep written notes of meetings. Get everything in writing. Talk to Union.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

This just isn't how NQT observations or assessments are supposed to work and she should consider contacting the LEA.
    NQT observations should be about meeting specific targets - targets that are connected to various of the core standards.
    No observation, not even a very "unsatisfactory" one can be a "fail" (OK, sure, one in which she endangered the kids could be), it simply means that that observation can't be used as evidence for meeting the particular standards targetted. (Even then it's bound to be useful for something - there will be a lesson plan, for example, so that ticks the "plans lessons" C standard box and there will be self-evaluation which will tick the "evaluates their teaching" box.)
    And you can't "fail" a term.
    What can happen is that the school can tick the box on the form that says "may not meet the standards by the end of the period".
    And that really isn't anything like as big a deal as it sounds. It happens to a lot of NQTs.