1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT problem

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lolaarcana, Dec 16, 2010.

1. I am an NQT and I have applied for a lot of jobs throughout
    this year. I have made each application specific to the school in question and
    I have made sure that I have checked through my application - I have even got
    other people to check them through. I have had trouble getting any supply
    work and I am becoming worried that I will have to give up on becoming a
    teacher as I am now having trouble financially.

I have never been offered an interview and I am completely
    desperate – I know that my references are excellent and I had nothing but
    praise during my PGCE.

What can I do to get a job?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!
    This is a really hard situation that you are in. Normally about 15% of NQTs are still not in permanent inductible posts at this time; but this year it is over half of you, and the year before still has over a third not yet doing their induction. That's an enormous number of new teachers unemployed, with fewer jobs being advertised, moreover. So hard, very hard.
    And it seems pretty simple for me to give you the advice. You don't say whether your applications are not getting interviews, or whether you get interviews and then cannot bring it off. The problem is different in each case. But here is the advice anyway:
    1. Set up a TES JobAlert so that you hear about all the right jobs and apply
    2. Investigate NQT pools, including closing dates, and apply to those
    3. Read all the advice here on the Welcome thread, especially the Shortlisting clickables, and follow it exactly - other posters have discovered that doing this brings them interviews
    <h3>Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview </h3>And Heads appreciate applications that do what I say:
    <h3>taking Theo's Advice </h3>4. When called for an interview, prepare intelligently - read the clickables on interviews inside the Welcome thread.
    If all else fails, or you are really getting desperate, then you may need to consider investing money in getting advice from the appointment professionals: The TES Careers Advice service. I would say that there are three possibilities here for you.
    a) If your applications are not getting you interviews, then they need to be sharpened. A personal one-to-one with me or Prof John Howson, where we would sit down with you and talk through your application, show you how to produce an executive summary, could help here.
    b) If you get interviews, but cannot get the job, then perhaps you should consider the longer session, a half day, where we can look at your application as above, and also give you interview training.
    c) Or you might like to come to a half-day seminar where you would be in a group of 18-20 people, looking in general at how to write a killer application, draft an executive summary, and how to win at interview.
    But do read the Welcome thread and get the free advice first!
    Best wishes

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Hello lolaarcana,
    I usually follow the unemployed teacher threads and from them have learned that there are about 4000 unemployed teachers at the moment. Much of the problem is caused by schools in England now having the legal right to use Higher Learning Assistants to teach rather than requiring a school to contact an agency and bring a Supply Teacher in. Schools can also employ 'instructors' (more cheaply) instead of qualified teachers for some subjects - and I think the statistic is that 10,000 instructors (perhaps many are part time but it still makes a huge difference to the number of jobs that are available for qualified teachers) are now employed in schools.
    I may be wrong on the numbers and welcome anyone to correct me on this - but the fact is that schools are under a lot of pressure due to the current economic situation and a lot of teachers are out of work.
    I have a friend who is a senior manager in an inner city school with lots of difficult kids. You would think that they would be looking to have an excellent and strong staff and low teacher/pupil ration - but because of financial difficulties which the current head inherited with the job they are understaffed. One teacher is leaving at the end of term but the head will just split her class up and put the kids in with other classes to save money. This is meaning the existing staff are under more and more pressure.
    If you are an NQT then the school has to give you induction (which costs) and a lighter time table (which costs) so a lot of schools seem to be avoiding appointing NQT's. I have read a lot of posts (on unemployed teacher threads) who find themselves in the same situation as you are in.
    My 'sector' which is very experienced and at the top of the pay scale is also disadvantaged because a school would rather get an NQT (which is cheaper) or someone who has just a year or two of experience (which is cheaper and avoids the costs that NQT's incurr (as explained above.) There is also a serious lot of ageism because it seems HeadTeachers regard anyone over 50 as burned out or past it.
    This might help explain the situation you are in - but it doesn't make it any less miserable and desperate. All I can say is keep trying, work on anything that gives you physical and emotional strength and the stamina to keep going in difficult conditions - such as sport, exercise, (prayer and meditation if you have an awareness of the value of a strong spiritual life) - and don't give up.
    Obviously it is a good plan to do anything you can to improve your CV - voluntary work in schools or expanding the ages you can teach or subject knowledge etc, to widen the range of jobs you can apply for and catch the eye of whoever does the shortlisting.
    One more suggestion - I am trying to start a business related to education and finding it hard going to actually get off the ground (hence on JSA). If you - or anyone else reading this - live in the London area and like the sound of what I am trying to do (see www.bluelotus.co) it would be great to work with someone else. At first it would have to be on a voluntary basis but I am chasing funding so it could develop into paid work, giving workshops in schools and supporting some of the stressed out teachers who are under so much pressure because the schools are not staffed properly.

4. Thanks very much for the advice - I haven't had any interviews and when I ask for feedback about my application it is often very unhelpful (you're not where we want you to be - the line spacing was wrong on your application?) I would like to use the professional service but I'll have to see if I get any money for Xmas first!
    I suspect this may be a stupid question but what are NQT pools and how would I find one?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, Lola, here's another poster who suggests thaty ou ask for a visit to me for Christmas!
    <h3>Dear Theo I got the job! </h3>Here's the lowdown on the Pools
    <h3>Pools, what they are, and how they work </h3>Hope that's helpful. Best wishes.

6. I have the same problem, only there are nearly 400applicants per job in my area of the country. I've also worked in schools (as a student) where the first round of shortlisting was throwing the unopened apps in the air, if they landed on the floor they got binned, on the desk your app got opened. I've also seen heads discriminate on what type of envelope you send it in! Ridiculous!!