1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT probation year - has this happened to you? If so, any help gratefully received

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by freckles47, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi, I am having a bit of a nightmare at the moment, just by chance I have found out that my NQT probation year was registered with the GTC but because it has no completion date it looks as if I haven't completed. I only found out because prospective employers were checking my creditials and I asked why I wasn't selected for interview. I completed induction (I have copies of the paperwork) last spring (2010) and in my naiveity I did not realise you were issued with a certificate on completion and consequently in ignorance I never followed it up. Now I am aware, I am in the process of chasing round and getting this sorted out. However, meanwhile, I am still in an awkward situation in terms of applying for jobs. If I put on my application that I have completed my probation year and employers check it (again) my claim looks fraudulent, if I don't put it on I can't apply for qualified teacher posts. If anyone can provide any advice on the way forward, I would very much appreciate it.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Your still a qualified teacher if your NQT year is incomplete you'd just need to finish it x

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

It sounds as if the school where you completed Induction hasn't sent the final forms to the LA, who then ratify a recommendation to pass and liaise with the GTC for the issuingoll of a certificate. Follow the paper trail and get Union support if you discover that someone has slipped up and your paperwork was not put not in the system.

4. Hi, many thanks for your comments. I have done just that. Hopefully the admin error will be corrected, albeit over a year after I successfully completed it. Although not much of a consolation for the job interview I lost and the question mark over my integrity, since it looked as if was telling porkies, but at least now I've discovered the problem I've got the opportunity to put it right.