1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT- probation extended

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by natjtaylor, Jan 10, 2019.

1. natjtaylor

natjtaylor New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently undertaking my nqt year on a one year maternity contract.
    My observations have indicated I am doing well, with no major issues.
    Yesterday I went to see my HOD for observation feedback and was told my job probation period (not NQT probation) was being extended. This came as a complete shock as I've seen no negative feedback about my performance at all.
    My concern is that if I'm failing my job probation period, it follows that I'm also failing my NQT but as I said, I've had no issues raised so far.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. MsBehaving

MsBehaving New commenter

@natjtaylor I guess more information is needed. What is your contract other than maternity cover? Is there the possibility of staying there?
    I would take a deep, calming breathe and ask the HOD to clarify as you didn't take in all the information. Sometimes everything in teaching can feel like a criticism. In this case, there may be a reason that you haven't brought about. Plus side - no negative feedback and your NQT year has not been brought into question. Good luck

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask what this means in a practical sense. What is the difference to you if you are on probation or not? Does it affect pay or conditions?

Having one extended does not mean you are failing the other.

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

The cynic in me suspects this is to avoid giving your next pay increment and I think you should contact your Union for advice. Although I am a bit confused as it sounds like your contract is only for a year anyway.

5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I'm thinking with the limited info given; yes you are a good NQT but they want a better one. Probationary periods mean they can swap you at the drop of a hat.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Did you ask the HoD for feedback when you had this probation review? If you didn’t, why not? They’ve mentioned that they’re extending your probation so that you are entitled to know this information. As a HT myself, I often conduct reviews of colleagues and if I have concerns, I will let them know and put a performance improvement plan in place if necessary.

7. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

The OP didn't have a probation review so wouldn't have needed to ask about probation. I understand the feedback was following an NQT observation.

8. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

You need to read the school's probationary policy.