1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Prep

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jamiering89, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I'm a GTP Science Trainee at the moment but have just landed myself a job for my NQT year, starting in September. I am currently working in the school that is employing me as of September 2012 so I can get some prep work done now. a) Does anybody have any advice for what I need to look out for? b) Any suggestions for equipment etc. that I should get before next year? c) What data should I begin to collect? Thanks :)

2. I'm a GTP Science Trainee at the moment but have just landed myself a job for my NQT year, starting in September. I am currently working in the school that is employing me as of September 2012 so I can get some prep work done now. a) Does anybody have any advice for what I need to look out for? b) Any suggestions for equipment etc. that I should get before next year? c) What data should I begin to collect? Thanks :)

3. Concentrate on finishing, and passing, your GTP is my main piece of advice. I did the GTP last year, and the NQT year is a breeze really. A lot depends on your school/mentor/Local Authority but the way in which you have to "evidence" things is so normally a lot easier.
    All the NQTs in my area were told "you're professionals now. If you tell us you've done something, we trust you". I've not had to produce a single piece of hard evidence so far. I get observed once every half term, and meet my mentor once every two weeks.
    The only preparation, therefore, I would suggest is simply anything to help you teach. You're currently teaching so think about organising all of your resources and lesson plans so that you can adapt and reuse next year. Look at what areas you'll be teaching and identify things which you haven't had much exposure to so far. Can you adapt previous resources for higher/lower ability classes or will you need to find/make some new ones? Will you be taking on A-Level? As you're science, will you be doing more Biology/Chemistry/Physics than this year? If you're doing coursework, try to get to grips with it and how it is assessed. These are the things to think about, in my opinion, but (at the risk of repeating myself) concentrate on the here and now first!
    Good luck for the rest of the GTP and well done for getting an NQT post already!