1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT PPA time in an academy???

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by threekidsmom, Dec 19, 2015.

1. threekidsmom

threekidsmom New commenter

Hi. I work in an academy that doesn't abide by the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document. All teachers are given 15 minutes a day tacked on to the end of their lunch as PPA. This adds up to only 1 hour and 15 minutes a week. We teach 5 hour-long lessons every day.

I'm not sure whether it is legal to provide teachers with less than 10% PPA time. I've also read that PPA shouldn't be in increments less than 30 minutes.

As an NQT, am I guaranteed 10%? I'm really confused.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What does your contract say?

In my case, on an 'NQT' basis last year, I had 20% PPA time at an academy/grammar but they were very fair in that regard.

Have you spoken to your mentor? Hopefully, you can resolve this after Christmas!

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Is your academy part of a chain? If so is it the policy of the chain or the individual academy?

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If they don't abide by the Pay and Conditions doc then I'm not sure that there's much you can do, apart from go back in your time machine and ask another question about NQT support at interview. It is awful that this school/chain does not adhere to nationally agreed conditions, no wonder teachers are stressed to hell.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

IMHO Academies were set up to be able to say 'stuff it' to any National Agreement thus putting unbearable pressure on the teachers and Union Reps who then have to try and negotiate it for each school.

As your school has probably sickened off the older teachers by now then you might be in a stronger negotiating position once you've finished your NQT year as regards PPA and other conditions but most likely you'll have to bear it for a year and then clear off yourself.

6. threekidsmom

threekidsmom New commenter

Hi. Thank you for your advice, everyone. I've been allocated 10% nqt time, so that's a plus. My academy is stand-alone, not part of a trust. I haven't queried it with the school, since all teachers, nqts included, are getting the same amount of nqt time. I wanted to get some advice before bringing it up. I'll have to check my contract before raising this with the school.

Thank you, again. I really appreciate your help.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As an NQT you have to by law receive 10% less contact time than any other main scale teacher. Any thing other than this breaches the statutory guidance.

8. trishdunn11

trishdunn11 New commenter

That's what I thought. I'm not sure whether it's legal to offer an nqt a contract with less than the statutory guidance. As for going back in time to my interview, yes I should have asked more questions, I suppose. However, it never occurred to me that I wouldn't receive the appropriate amount of ppa time. I'm looking to leave. I don't feel like I will get a fair shake. I should have asked. In that regard, the owness is on me.

9. welshwizard

It is not legal and you need to discuss with the appropriate body to make them aware of the situation

10. trishdunn11

trishdunn11 New commenter

Hi. I'm meeting with the appropriate body representatives today, actually. But they have been aware of this since September. They don't seem to be able to do anything since my contract may state 15 minutes per day. They suggested I speak with my union rep, who agrees. Since I signed the contract, they believe I may have waived my right to 10%. We'll see what happens this afternoon, although it's a meeting to discuss options from the appropriate body's perspective. I haven't been asked to prepare anything and mu union rep will not be there. Thank you again for your advice.

11. welshwizard

To clarify the 10% reduction is not negotiable it is a statutory requirement for ALL induction posts regardless of whether you work in an academy, independent or maintained school.