1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT PPA activities suggestions.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by alexdale, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi Guys!
    I have been looking at all the posts for NQT PPA and how much time people are given and I haven't found what im looking for.
    I wanted to know what sort of activities you guys do in your NQT PPA time to be most benificial to crossing off your C-standards.
    for example,
    I have followed one of my yr 8 classes to different subjects to see how they get on.
    I have written up observation reports on my self for my mentor and I to discuss.
    photo coppying and gathering evidence file fillers, like students work.

what sort of other things are people doing?

2. Hi Guys!
    I have been looking at all the posts for NQT PPA and how much time people are given and I haven't found what im looking for.
    I wanted to know what sort of activities you guys do in your NQT PPA time to be most benificial to crossing off your C-standards.
    for example,
    I have followed one of my yr 8 classes to different subjects to see how they get on.
    I have written up observation reports on my self for my mentor and I to discuss.
    photo coppying and gathering evidence file fillers, like students work.

what sort of other things are people doing?

3. I don't do any of this! I spend my PPA time planning, marking, making resources and sorting out the relentless pile of paperwork.
    I have an excellent NQT mentor and don't have to collect a file of evidence for the standards as he is keeping a record of them. Instead I just keep a small file of things like observation feedback, CPD details and minutes of meetings I have attended. When I first started I evaluated every lesson but this proved very time consuming. Good practice but in reality too much.
    I have observed several teachers as part of my induction training but this is not an ongoing thing. I have also now been placed on an internal 'outstanding teachers' programme so some of my PPA time is used for that.
    Don't worry so much about what you're doing, just do whatever you think you need to and whatever helps.

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I also use my PPA time for marking and planning. Observations are good if I get time but I would rather use my PPA time for prep and still have a life outside of school.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I suspect the OP is confusing PPA (which all teachers get for the activities others have described - planning, preparation and assessment) with NQT time, which can be used for the kinds of activities the OP describes.
    So, to clarify:
    PPA - all teachers get it to help them do their planning, prep and assessment
    NQT time - only NQTs get it, to be used to help you meet NQT standards.
    They're not the same thing!

6. My timetable doesn't distinguish between PPA and NQT time: they're all just marked as frees. I don't do anything extra really, just use the time for planning and marking. I'm not having to collate a folder of evidence and my induction tutor hasn't asked me to do anything other than keep documents from NQT meetings and so on.
    In an ideal world I'd love to be doing CPD things, but truthfully I think it's hard enough in the first year to manage the workload, balance the curriculum and get one's head around everything there is to teach. The extra frees are necessary to keep up with all of that.

7. A few ideas:
    Observing experienced teachers
    Observing specific children in your class whilst being taught by another teacher.
    Viewing Teachers TV videos
    Researching teaching strategies - TES Forum, Other sites, Educational text books.
    Reflecting on targets
    Reflecting on behaviour management
    Meeting with colleagues with specific roles - e.g. SENCO