1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT position in SCE schools

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rbaines89, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I am currently working towards a Qualified Teaching Status and I am aware that I must complete an NQT (induction) year. I am looking to complete this year in Germany and have been told it is possible to do so in a SCE school. However i cannot find any information on how to go about applying for any job vacancies or how to apply for the SCE NQT pool. Any information would be very helpful as I am aware that I need to be applying for this as soon as possible to have the best chance at getting a teaching post this September. Thanks.

2. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

To my knowledge, SCE have recruited several NQTs in this current academic year. As far as I am aware, they are all primary posts. The ones I know personally were all recruited through the primary recruitment pool that SCE run. However, the future of SCE schools is dependent on the Strategic Defence Review - as the Brits are pulling out of Germany there is a real question mark over further recruitment. There is a lot of reshuffling of staff between schools and offers of voluntary redundancies. As SCE run a number of schools in places like Brunei, Gibraltar, Naples, Cyprus and Belize, it is possible that they will still recruit externally. However, I know that Belize is closing down, as is Naples and Gibraltar (I think, but don't quote me!). I would email the recruitment dept. (the address is on their website - if you just google 'SCE') to ask if they are planning to run the primary pool this year. You've nothing to lose. In terms of what they offer, the NQT programme (mentors, NQT time etc.) is identical to those in the UK.

3. invincible

invincible New commenter

It is worth knowing that induction can only be done in SCE schools in Germany and Cyprus. How the Forces pulling out of Germany will affect this in future, who knows?

4. has anyone on this forum had much experience in SCE schools?
    I understand that they are under threat, but for sept 2011 I think they are looking safe.

5. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I teach in an SCE Secondary school. To add to my post above, I hear that they are running the primary pool this year; that doesn't guarantee vacancies but I have heard tell of one or two this coming September. You've got to be in it to win it!