1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Plea - Chaos in Y7 Class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Cfw1315, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Cfw1315

Cfw1315 New commenter

Please help. I’m an NQT back from mat leave. Behaviour at my school was bad before I left, but now it’s terrible. For some classes the behaviour system is completely ineffective. The threat of a detention, any sanction, or being kept behind for time wasted is dismissed out of hand. Waiting for quiet or counting down is ignored, as are seating plans. Shouting is not heard. Reason is dismissed. I can’t send them out, they just walk out anyway and return at will.

A couple of pupils are aggressive and even if they are removed, they leave isolation and return. There are gangs of kids just roaming about school and causing chaos. Even the well behaved kids are joining in and I had a lesson on Friday where I could not actually teach.

This starts outside the lessons and spills inside. The carefully planned and differentiated content on Friday was not relevant because the kids were just running about and chaos ensued. I’m sure if I had more presence and experience I could deal with this, but there is also an element of this being an exacerbation of problems endemic in the school. Any help is gratefully received. Thank you.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

There is absolutely nothing you can do in this situation but look for another post as soon as possible. In the meantime, log all of what you wrote above and keep a record of it at home and not on a school computer.

If I were you, I would call your union for advice as what you describe sounds dangerous for you and the students you teach. From what you write it sounds as though the school have not systems in place to ensure the most basic of health and safety for its workforce and the students in their care.

This has nothing to do with your experience or presence but everything to do with the mismanagement of the school.

Frankly, it sends a chill up my spine and a sinking feeling in my stomach that you are in such a place or that even places like this exist.

You have a young baby to look after and your own mental health. Find another post for the sake of your family.

3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

In the meantime, please don't suffer this alone thinking you can't admit to other staff that you are having a hard time. It is much more of a weakness to not ask for help and support when you need it.

Have you spoken to your HoD or other colleagues, maybe the relevant Hoy or form tutor? Is there someone who could read this class the riot act next time you have them, then stay whilst you teach them?

Are there some colleagues who seem to have it sussed? If so, go and observe that class in their lesson and see if you can pick up any strategies that could help you.

You are not alone, and things will get better (though, as suggested above, maybe not at this school).

pepper5 likes this.