1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Planning

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sisforsophie, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm an NQT about to start my first Job on Monday and was just wondering about planning. I have most of my medium terms plans done and some weekly plans for core subjects but don't know how much more I can do. Just wondered how everyone else manages their work loads and how far ahead you plan. An NQT told me they use to just stay a week ahead of themselves as if you plan too far in advance, things tend to change and so plans don't get used and time has been wasted.
    I'm working in a special needs school so can guarentee all lessons won't go to plan and lessons will have to be changed and moved about. I just want to try and use my time effectively and still be able to have at least one day of my weekends to myself once I start.
    So what does everyone do?

2. Hello,
    I'm an NQT about to start my first Job on Monday and was just wondering about planning. I have most of my medium terms plans done and some weekly plans for core subjects but don't know how much more I can do. Just wondered how everyone else manages their work loads and how far ahead you plan. An NQT told me they use to just stay a week ahead of themselves as if you plan too far in advance, things tend to change and so plans don't get used and time has been wasted.
    I'm working in a special needs school so can guarentee all lessons won't go to plan and lessons will have to be changed and moved about. I just want to try and use my time effectively and still be able to have at least one day of my weekends to myself once I start.
    So what does everyone do?

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I tend to plan my foundation subjects in the holiday before that half-term, so I am currently planning for RE, ICT, Science, Art and History now, up until October half-term. I find it such a relief to know that I have my objectives and resources already planned for the whole half-term - less chance of panicking about being unprepared!
    For Literacy and Numeracy I use my PPA time to plan the following week's lessons, although they aren't set in stone and I will scribble all over my plan if things need changing and take that into account the following week.

4. I'm also an NQT starting in a special school and have spent the last week wondering if I have done enough planning. I have done medium term plans for all the subjects but have only planned in detail for the first week. My mentor has told me not to plan any further than that because you always need to change your plans once you get to meet the students and your staff team.

5. My MTPs for all subjects are done and I work off the MTP for foundation subjects. Literacy and Numeracy I plan for the next week in PPA. Sometimes I end up resourcing maths over the weekend, but on the I try to leave it free. Having said that, that worked well on placement - I'm sure teaching my own class it might be different but we shall see :) xx

6. Oh good, sounds like we're all doing the similar things then :)
    I've just had two training days and it's my first real day tomorrow! Bit nervous but excited at the same time. Good luck to you other NQTs, all the hard work has paid off now :)